Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I want to use Firefox but....

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 silon and garfunkel

silon and garfunkel

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:07 AM

Posted 15 September 2009 - 04:52 AM

Hi.

I have heard lots of good things about Firefox and I would like to use it but often when I do my firewall detects it connecting to IP addresses. It drives me crazy when programs connect out without my consent and I want to find out what Firefox is up to. I have just plain old Firefox 3.5.2 with no addons, I downloaded it from the Mozilla website. The outbound connections are very brief and all the ones I have traced have been to Google or Mozilla so I don't think that it is anything malicious but their could still be privacy concerns. I have disabled automatic updates but the problem continues.

Here are a couple of the IP addresses that came up a while back. "66.249.89.102:80" "74.125.109.24:80"

This never happens when I use Internet Explorer.

Any ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 alumbagh

alumbagh

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:07 PM

Posted 15 September 2009 - 05:01 AM

I believe FF checks home periodically checking for updates ( which IE will not do)

Have a look through the preferences for FF and see if these auto updates can be disabled. 

#3 silon and garfunkel

silon and garfunkel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:07 AM

Posted 16 September 2009 - 02:57 AM

I guess that the problem may be firefox checking for updates but I have turned off all the automatic updates that I could find and firefox is still connecting to the web without asking.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users