Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows update problem

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 aussie-tech

aussie-tech

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:41 AM

Posted 24 July 2005 - 03:17 AM

when windows updates the video driver, the new driver causes a sytem crash when booting...and i need to go back to the old driver...how do i avoid this ???

thanks in advance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aviator

Aviator

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:41 AM

Posted 24 July 2005 - 06:12 AM

Have you tried installing the driver in Safe Mode? I never use the Windows updates for my video drivers. I use the Nvidia web site to update my drivers. What kind of video card do you have?

#3 simplejohn

simplejohn

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2005 - 06:13 AM

I would try to contact my video card vendor, with the specific type of card
that I have and ask them for the latest driver update form my Win XP version.

you can also explain them what happens when you update the driver from
microsoft, and maybe they'll have a solution for you.

Good Luck

#4 aussie-tech

aussie-tech
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2005 - 07:25 AM

The main board is a via mini itx with onboard video....the new driver was installed
when applying critical updates as i never intentionally updated the video driver
from microsoft updates site. I had to revert back to the original driver to get the machine going again but I am wondering how to stop this driver being updated automatically...but I think simplejohn is on the right track....if i use the latest
driver from via then Microsoft should leave it alone. I just dont know why the video driver would have been updated as I only ever bother with critical updates.

thanks for the help.

#5 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2005 - 09:54 AM

Use the custom install at Windows Updates and you can tell it to ignore the video.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users