Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer is extremely slow

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 AvenueBeads

AvenueBeads

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:04 AM

Posted 15 September 2009 - 02:23 AM

I have a computer in my art studio that I use for two purposes only. One, to stream live video when I'm torching. And when I'm not streaming I watch shows on Hulu.com

I don't remember when this started but all of a sudden the computer takes forever to do anything. Getting virtual memory errors as well. And now that my computer has been turned into a snail, my live video feeds aren't really working anymore. I think it possibly started after I started using Hulu.

Where can I start to try and find and fix my problem?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,246 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2009 - 07:36 AM

Remove Hulu.

Tell us how much RAM is installed on the system...how much free space in partition where Windows is installed.

System manufacturer and model?

Check Event Viewer for possible clues, How To Use Event Viewer - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/40108/how-to-use-event-viewer/.

Run chkdsk /r command. Start/Run...type chkdsk /r (space between k and /) and hit Enter. Type Y in response to onscreen query and hit Enter. Reboot, let the command run...system will boot into XP when command has finished its work.

Defrag the C: partition after chkdsk /r has completed.

Louis

#3 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2009 - 11:18 AM

Hulu isn't an app. It's NBC's streaming video site. RAM could be an issue though.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,246 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2009 - 11:54 AM

I believe that Hulu.com has a desktop app which is installed on a system.

Louis

#5 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,083 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:04 AM

Posted 15 September 2009 - 01:53 PM

What the devil is Torching and should I take it up?

I have used Hulu and to my limited Hulu knowledge it never installed anything, but it may be an option :thumbsup:

Please send more system information (fewer questions!).

Click Start, Run and in the box enter:

msinfo32

Click OK, and when the System Summary info appears, click Edit, Select All, Copy and then paste back here.

There will be some personal information (like System Name and User Name), and whatever appears to be
private information to you, just delete from the pasted information.

Download, install, update and do a full scan with these free malware detection programs:

Malwarebytes (MBAM): http://malwarebytes.org/
SUPERAntiSpyware: (SAS): http://www.superantispyware.com/

These can be uninstalled later if desired.

IDE is the common interface to HD and CD drives, and DMA is the fastest of the two, PIO is not preferred.

Verify the Transfer Mode of your disk subsystem IDE channels are NOT set to PIO.

This is easy to check and generally easy to fix and the mode would not have changed by itself, so if it has, we should figure out why and fix it.

To launch the Device Manger console, click Start, run and in the box enter:

C:\WINDOWS\system32\devmgmt.msc

Click OK.

Expand the IDE/ATA controller section to see your IDE channels. Right click each, Properties, and for each channel that has an Advanced Settings tab, determine the Transfer Mode. There are usually east 4 to check, maybe fewer for laptops.

Report back for each device the Device Type and Transfer Mode settings - DMA or PIO and then if it needs changing, we can decide the best advice.

Edited by joseibarra, 15 September 2009 - 02:06 PM.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

#6 AvenueBeads

AvenueBeads
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2009 - 04:57 PM

OK, starting from the top :thumbsup:

System Info
------------------
OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 Build 2600
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Manufacturer Gateway
System Model E-4600
System Type X86-based PC
Processor x86 Family 15 Model 1 Stepping 2 GenuineIntel ~1795 Mhz
BIOS Version/Date Intel Corp. GB85010A.15A.0046.P13.0108201551, 8/20/2001
SMBIOS Version 2.3
Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.5512 (xpsp.080413-2111)"
Total Physical Memory 256.00 MB
Available Physical Memory 23.28 MB
Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB
Page File Space 617.83 MB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys

System Event Errors
----------------------------
Application - Warning 9/14/2009 11:13:09 PM Userenv None 1517 SYSTEM
System - Error 9/14/2009 11:27:30 PM Service Control Manager None 7034 N/A

Ran CHDSK
Defragged drive
Ran full system scan with norton and Malwarebytes, found nothing.

Primary IDE is set to DMA
Secondary is the same

Jose, I blow glass, make marbles etc.. on a torch :flowers:

#7 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,083 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2009 - 05:11 PM

Good info.

Do your performance issues at or around the time of the installation of Norton?

Norton is often a high resource consumer. It would be the first thing I suspect now that you have provided that tidbit.

What is your Norton suite?

You have 256MB of RAM (which is the same as me), but some people will say that is not "enough". I think it is fine for what I do, but I don't have Norton. 256MB is their minimum for their base product.

Do you know how to disable Norton long enough to see if your situation improves?

I am not sure of the complete mechanism involved to do so, but am very suspicious.

I will read up on torching :thumbsup: .

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

#8 AvenueBeads

AvenueBeads
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2009 - 05:44 PM

No it was slow before I put norton on the computer.

It's an old computer, so maybe it's time for a bit of a ram upgrade. But if that doesn't help, I guess it would be a waste of money. hmmm

#9 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2009 - 06:10 PM

Getting more RAM would help with streaming video.

#10 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,083 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2009 - 06:55 PM

Well, Norton isn't helping! Anything else come to mind in that area? McAfee, Zone Alarm, etc.?

More RAM would not hurt (only once have I ever heard somebody say "I have too much RAM"). The concept of fast enough is an interpretation and the system will never be as fast as it used to be and it will never be fast enough. XP also has a built in limit.

The Virtual Memory popups are usually not really errors, just informational messages that physical RAM is getting tight, but XP is letting you know it is trying to deal with it. It would be better to never see them of course.

There is a BC thread in the top of this forum called "Slow Computer?" which has plenty of good tips.

Usually a system will have several startup items that get loaded on every reboot and may not be needed (I have 1 startup item for my sound card), but to figure out what is not needed requires some experience, research, or trial and error using things like MSCONFIG or the referenced Windows Startup tool (http://www.windowsstartup.com/) to disable the items (but not delete them), reboot, see if things get better or if anything stops working.

I would hang out for a while here for suggestions, read some of the Slow Computer? posts, go to www.crucial.com for memory pricing. That is all they do. 1 good marble could get a gig of memory.

Bleeping Computer people - is there a good way or script to just dump the startup items like HKLM\run and HKCU\run to a file for copy/paste? I can use reg to dump to a files(s), but that is clumsy.

I thought propagandapanda had a VBS thing but can't find it.

Edited by joseibarra, 15 September 2009 - 07:06 PM.

#11 AvenueBeads

AvenueBeads
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2009 - 10:56 AM

More RAM would not hurt (only once have I ever heard somebody say "I have too much RAM"). The concept of fast enough is an interpretation and the system will never be as fast as it used to be and it will never be fast enough. XP also has a built in limit.

LOL very true. What is XP's limit?

There isn't anything else on the computer by way of virus/malware/spyware apps besides norton and malwarebytes. I'm going to take the tower apart today and take a look inside. It's been awhile since I cleaned in there. And then I'll probably go grab some more ram while I'm at it.

I'm pretty sure this whole thing started after I started using Hulu. But like others have said, hulu doesn't download any programs to your computer or anything. So I dunno, maybe that was just a coincidence.

Edited by AvenueBeads, 16 September 2009 - 10:57 AM.

#12 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,083 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2009 - 02:24 PM

You will get no benefit with a 32 bit version of XP by installing more than 4MB of RAM.

2MB is often sufficient for most people.

Sometime 4MB is installed and the exepcteation is that 4MB should be displayed and when it isn't exactly 4MB there must be a problem.

For example, some chunk of memory may be consumed by your video card and other devices, so total and what is available come into play.

I did get the http://www.windowsstartup.com/ tool but my configuration is so boring, but yours might be more interesting to see what you might have loading that you don't need, if you feel like experimenting. They do have some words about items they know about that can help you decide. Free, noninvasive, uninstall when done, etc.

Not a Hulu person really and there may be some way that it has installed something, the Startup tool will help you know for sure.

I think a reasonable memory upgrade would enhance your Hulu and general experience, and if you still see the Virtual Memory popups, we could figure that out. Programs get bigger over time with Windows updates, service packs, etc. Right now, you meet the minimum requirement. I don't think Hulu wasn't invented yet when XP came out.

I would not start "adjusting" Virtual Memory settings unless you learn more about memory management in XP that XP knows.

No Spybot? Their Teatimer component is a VM hog.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users