Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Reasonable Safari Settings

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Twin B

Twin B

• Members
  • 240 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:29 PM

Posted 15 September 2009 - 01:20 AM

http://mediamemo.allthingsd.com/20090913/h...p-some-malware/

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/257540/ny-times-website-hit-by-hackers/

My machine is one of those that 'received' the 'unauthorized advertisement'. (Don't ya just love it when lawyers write the copy for potential revenue losing events?) So I called the Apple helpline and was told to reset Safari, being sure to click "clear history, empty the cache, and remove all cookies". And that was that.

My question is how does your run-of-the-mill surfer set the Safari security options to minimize the entry points the bad guys can use to get into my machine? I'm new to the Apple world but an experienced computer user; don't knowingly go to shady websites, don't click into offers for free anything, and I generally stay on the straight-and-narrow paths that get me home by 10 P.M. Your opinions are welcome. Thanks.

I've learned blood is not thicker than money. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,882 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:29 AM

Posted 15 September 2009 - 12:47 PM

You can use the Firefox browser with the NoScript and AdblockPlus extensions. That will keep the malware that
NYT's had a problem with from getting on your computer.

I read the posts of many users that got infected from that ad. They were blaming NYT, the criminal ad purveyor, and
their expensive security programs that failed to protect them. None mentioned using NoScript. Some had the
Adblock Plus extension but still managed to get infected. NYT wasn't the only major news site that got hit last weekend.

Next time you see an ad like that, do not click to close it. Instead close your browser and if you can clear your cache
do that, too.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 Twin B

Twin B
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 240 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2009 - 09:36 AM

Thanks Bud. I recognized the malware as similar to one that I had on IE7 and I didn't click on it. I'm assuming that NoScript and AdblockPlus extensions aren't designed to work with Safari?

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,882 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:29 AM

Posted 16 September 2009 - 11:53 AM

Depends on which OS you have. See info in link below Safari AdBlock.
http://burgersoftware.com/en/safariadblock

No NoScript for Safari. You might find the conversation in the link below of interest--particularly #7 post.
http://forums.macosxhints.com/showthread.php?p=421900

Edited by buddy215, 16 September 2009 - 11:57 AM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 Twin B

Twin B
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 240 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2009 - 03:41 PM

OK, thanks again Bud.

#6 gduv

gduv

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2009 - 11:50 PM

Hey there Twin B
Have you considered tweaking the software firewall on your version of Mac OS X ?
The firewall on Macs can be manually configured to shut down and open access "ports"

Other, third party firewall software, specifically for Mac OS X, is available. "Virus Barrier", Mac compatible "Norton" products are some retail firewall products. "Water Roof" and "Noob" are freebies in need of configuring on OS X 10.4 and up. Older Macs ( OS X 10.1 up to Panther, OS X 10.3 ) are bet protected by products from Brian Hill Software.

In order to have third party firewalls be effective, turn OFF the Apple firewall. System Preferences > Security pages > Firewall tab, uncheck all firewall options.

Also, disable the "JavaScript" option in Preferences for Safari. That will help eliminate some ads on destination websites. The "getting home by 10PM" thing, drinking all your Ovaltine, and flossing regularly probably won't help your computer but will surely limit your social life.

Much health and happiness to you and yours.

Apple IBook/ OS X 10.2.8/ Camino 1.03/I-Cab/Safari 1.03/
and a Frog in a Tuxedo

7450 I-Mac, G4/ 1.2 ghrz/1.5gb RAM/ single core/OS X 10.5.8/ Camino/ Neo Office/Seashore/ Bean/ Java update

#7 Twin B

Twin B
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 240 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2009 - 11:45 PM

Hi gduv:

I'm running OS 10.5.8 on my four month old iMac. I installed AdBlocker as was recommended earlier and that's blocking many of the ads pretty well. Thanks for the information about the firewall, I'll play around with that. I've been wondering what to do about the JavaScript so you answered that for me too. (And my social life is better limited, I've had my fill of clubs and parties and headaches for awhile. hehe.) If you're in the Den metro area I heard we'll be getting 6-12" of snow tonight here in the SW foothills around 285 and vicinity. I take that forecast with a grain of salt, knowing the hysteria that weather forecasters are prone to. Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Joe.

#8 gduv

gduv

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2009 - 11:48 AM

Hey there, twin be,
Weather guessers are working real hard to get forecasts along the Rockies right but there are so many factors that affect our weather, here. I've lived here long enough to know to be ready for anything each new day. I've seen snow fall in June, temps drop 45 degrees in about 2 hrs, and at least one spring where a steady sheet of rain fell at least once a day, every day, for 3 weeks. Turf grass lawns quickly got to 3 to 4 feet in length after that.
Check out "Weather Bug" @ www.weatherbug.com . Download the Mac friendly software and have current temp/link displayed on desktop task bar of your broadband ( high speed connected ) Mac.
Much health and happiness to you and yours.

Apple IBook/ OS X 10.2.8/ Camino 1.03/I-Cab/Safari 1.03/
and a Frog in a Tuxedo

7450 I-Mac, G4/ 1.2 ghrz/1.5gb RAM/ single core/OS X 10.5.8/ Camino/ Neo Office/Seashore/ Bean/ Java update

#9 Twin B

Twin B
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 240 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2009 - 09:07 PM

I'll try it out, thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users