Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ekrn.exe system file

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Antonis

Antonis

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:07 AM

Posted 15 September 2009 - 01:16 AM

Dear Mr. PropagandaPanda,

My Desktop Pc has lack of speed and this happens very often. When for example, I handle my documents and I go from one folder to another the CPU THINKS A LOT. I noticed this specially when I open the Windows Task Manager, where the ekrn.exe system file is busy with about 50% of the CPU Memory usage.

I am using a Licenced ESET NOD 32 ANTIVIRUS (installed in my pc) and I have a LAN Internet connection (I am connected in a Domain \\workgroup).

Please help!
Antonis

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,106 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:07 PM

Posted 15 September 2009 - 07:29 AM

I suggest uninstalling the ESET application...then reinstalling it and updating it.

Louis

#3 Antonis

Antonis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2009 - 08:18 AM

I tried but still nothing....

Hay Panda,

What about the Combofix, Gmer, Erunt, Avenger?

Any suggestions?

Thanks

#4 PropagandaPanda

PropagandaPanda

• Malware Response Team
  • 10,433 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:07 PM

Posted 16 September 2009 - 03:50 PM

Hello.

I had not meant for you to address the topic to me, though I'd be glad to help in any case.

What about the Combofix, Gmer, Erunt, Avenger?

These are tools for malware removal, which does not appear to be the issue here.

ekrn.exe is certainly related to ESET. If it is causing issues, the only solution would be to uninstall it and use another antivirus. Otherwise, we could try disabling the service, but that may reduce the effectiveness of ESET.

Please tell me how you wish to proceed.

With Regards,
The Panda

#5 Antonis

Antonis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2009 - 03:22 AM

Dear Panta,

I would like to disabling the service regardless that may reduce the effectiveness of ESET.

Thank you for your help!

Antonis

#6 PropagandaPanda

PropagandaPanda

• Malware Response Team
  • 10,433 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:07 PM

Posted 19 September 2009 - 03:53 PM

Hello Antonis.

Sorry for the delay. I have been quite busy.

Install ERUNT
This tool will create a complete backup of your registry. After every reboot, a new backup is created to ensure we have a safety net after each step. Do not delete these backups until we are finished.

Do not use the NTREGOPT that comes with the installation package.
  • Please download erunt-setup.exe to your desktop.
  • Double click erunt-setup.exe. If you are using Windows Vista, right click the icon and select "Run As Administrator." Follow the prompts and allow ERUNT to be installed with the settings at default. If you do not want a Desktop icon, feel free to uncheck that. When asked if you want to create an ERUNT entry in the startup folder, answer Yes only if you are using Windows XP. You can delete the installation file after use.
  • Erunt will open when the installation is finished. Check all items to be backed up in the default location and click OK.
You can find a complete guide to using the program here:
http://www.larshederer.homepage.t-online.de/erunt/erunt.txt

When we are finished, you may, remove ERUNT using Add/Remove Programs.

Apply Registry Script
  • Copy the following into a notepad (Start>Run>"notepad"). Do not copy the word "code".
    REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\ekrn]
    "start"=dword:4
  • Click File, then Save As... .
  • Click Desktop on the left.
  • Under the Save as type dropdown, select All Files.
  • In the box File Name, input fix.reg
  • Hit OK.
When done properly, the icon should look like Posted Image.

Double click fix.reg and answer Yes to the prompts. You should recieve the message that the entries have been successfully merged. If not, post back with the error message.

Delete fix.reg after use.

Reboot your computer. Does the issue still occur?

With Regards,
The Panda

#7 Antonis

Antonis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2009 - 09:48 AM

its ok! :thumbsup:

I will follow your guides and then let you know about the results,

Thanks
Antonis

Hello Antonis.

Sorry for the delay. I have been quite busy.

Install ERUNT
This tool will create a complete backup of your registry. After every reboot, a new backup is created to ensure we have a safety net after each step. Do not delete these backups until we are finished.

Do not use the NTREGOPT that comes with the installation package.

• Please download erunt-setup.exe to your desktop.
  • Double click erunt-setup.exe. If you are using Windows Vista, right click the icon and select "Run As Administrator." Follow the prompts and allow ERUNT to be installed with the settings at default. If you do not want a Desktop icon, feel free to uncheck that. When asked if you want to create an ERUNT entry in the startup folder, answer Yes only if you are using Windows XP. You can delete the installation file after use.
  • Erunt will open when the installation is finished. Check all items to be backed up in the default location and click OK.
You can find a complete guide to using the program here:
http://www.larshederer.homepage.t-online.de/erunt/erunt.txt

When we are finished, you may, remove ERUNT using Add/Remove Programs.

Apply Registry Script
  • Copy the following into a notepad (Start>Run>"notepad"). Do not copy the word "code".
    REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\ekrn]
    "start"=dword:4
  • Click File, then Save As... .
  • Click Desktop on the left.
  • Under the Save as type dropdown, select All Files.
  • In the box File Name, input fix.reg
  • Hit OK.
When done properly, the icon should look like Posted Image.

Double click fix.reg and answer Yes to the prompts. You should recieve the message that the entries have been successfully merged. If not, post back with the error message.

Delete fix.reg after use.

Reboot your computer. Does the issue still occur?

With Regards,
The Panda

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users