Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win2000 - Problem with MSDOS

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 aceofjacks109

aceofjacks109

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:25 PM

Posted 11 September 2004 - 10:25 AM

I recently reinstalled Windows 2000. Everything worked fine, but now MSDOS doesn't work. It doesn't show up in >Program Files/Accesories and when i type command in the run prompt, here is what I get(attached).
Note: the error message only comes up when I try to exit the program.

What should I do?

Attached Files

Edited by aceofjacks109, 11 September 2004 - 10:26 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TedOb1

TedOb1

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:25 PM

Posted 12 September 2004 - 01:11 AM

ms-dos is working fine. ipconfig and the net commands are external programs and not contained within 'command' check you path statement by typing SET. im guessing you got the windows error message by clicking on the 'X' to close it. type 'exit' at the prompt to close it

you may have installed something that overwrote the search path with only its own path or you may have a virus that has disabled these commands

although windows has gui's to fix this problems if its not a virus....its late and im tired and i cant think of one so ill just give you the old fashioned way of doing this that still works in win2k.

open notepad and type:

path = %path%; c:\winnt;c:\winnt\system32

this is assuming your console apps have been installed on your C drive now save the file to your c:\ as autoexec.bat

or

open up a dos prompt and enter"

SET path = %path%; c:\winnt;c:\winnt\system32

the latter will be lost everytime you close the dos box but its a good way to see if an autoexec.bat will fix the problem

BTW you'll find more funtionallity by using "cmd" instead of "command"

Edited by TedOb1, 12 September 2004 - 01:23 AM.

#3 aceofjacks109

aceofjacks109
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:25 PM

Posted 12 September 2004 - 12:22 PM

Ok thanks, everything works fine now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users