Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Using Vista Restore Feature to a SMALLER Drive

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 After Burner

After Burner

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 AM

Posted 14 September 2009 - 11:48 PM

The hard drive on my laptop is making noises so I purchased a slightly smaller hard drive (existing HD 120 GB, new HD is 100 GB) and I am trying to use Vista's back up and restore feature.

The active partition is 60GB and I backed it up to my external USB drive and that went well, but when I try to restore the image (which says is only 44 GB large) to my 100 GB drive I get an error message saying that the drive is too small.

Is there anything I can do to copy image from a larger drive to a smaller drive, even though the data on the smaller drive is less than the data on the new drive?

Thanks in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users