Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help, Need Space!

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 ghostfcae420

ghostfcae420

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:51 AM

Posted 14 September 2009 - 10:15 PM

Recently i have ran into a lot of computer trouble, causing me to reinstall Windows XP completely. The only place i could install was a small 5GB partition. Now after only a few weeks its telling me that i have run out of space on the partition and i need to free some up (which i thought was weird since i have been installing all my programs and putting everything onto the other much larger partition of the drive its about 150GB with 30GB free so this exact problem wouldn't happen) When trying to clean up the drive i find almost nothing that i can delete so i figured i would try to take some of the free space off the larger partition and add it to my main, much smaller windows one to solve the problem. After looking for some programs to do this in i settled on PartionMagic 8, but when i opened it and tried to re-size my large partition it told me there was no space free. Hmm thats strange my computer tells me there is 30Gbs free. Im stuck, i have alot of important stuff on this drive and it would kill me to see it all lost. All help is appreciated.

Thanks

Edited by ghostfcae420, 14 September 2009 - 10:17 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:51 AM

Posted 14 September 2009 - 10:49 PM

Have you ran a hard drive diagnostic and how old is this drive? Most hard drives begin to fail after five years.

3939.png

#3 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:51 PM

Posted 15 September 2009 - 09:23 AM

I am not sure I can help with your exact situation but:

The way you are going about this is just wrong. Putting your OS on it's own partition and installing programs on another, for a home user, is next to useless. If you reinstall Windows on that small partition, the vast majority of the installed programs on the large partition won't work as the registry entries have effectively been wiped. You end up reinstalling all of your programs again anyway so what is the point?

Resizing a boot partition is a crapshoot. I still see problems with the latest and greatest partition manager software. Don't depend on data from partitions you are going to resize. Worst case, you lose your data on both partitions, rare but I ussure you it does happen.

What happens when you run disk cleanup on the large partition, is there any recoverable space? Have you run CHKDSK to check drive integrity? You sometimes have a lot of files that Windows won't recognize as being there, but a partition manager might recognize as taking up space.

If this was my/clients sytem, I would back up my data and start fresh with correct partition layouts and sizes for that drive.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users