Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

xp wireless p2p help

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 milzee

milzee

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:20 AM

Posted 24 July 2005 - 02:20 AM

i want to be able to connect my laptop to my desktop computer through a wireless network. Both computers are connect to my wired network, and when i connect my laptop to my desktop i want it to have access to my broadband modem & the server on the wired network. The Broadband modem supplies the ip's. My system info is below:

Laptop:

XP HOME
SP2
802.11B Wireless Card

Desktop:

XP PRO
SP2
802.11G Wireless Card

So How I Want the wireless network setup Is:

LAPTOP --> DESKTOP --> WIRED NETWORK --> NETWORK SERVER/INTERNET

Can You guide me through the steps in setting this up??

Thankyou In Advance

Milzee

PS: I Was Referred To This Forum By Another Member:

Old Thread Here

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 pchartwell

pchartwell

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:20 PM

Posted 25 July 2005 - 11:01 AM

The wireless adapters on both the laptop and the desktop will need to be set to "ad hoc" mode and then be able to communicate to each other. Once that is done, the desktop may need to enable Internet Connection Sharing. This is a little non-standard but I think it should work... have never done this myself.

All in all, this would be a lot easier if the router you have was replaced with a wireless-able one. :thumbsup:

#3 simplejohn

simplejohn

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:20 PM

Posted 27 July 2005 - 03:05 PM

Hey milzee

Well i' have the same thing, configured exactly as pchartwell said.
One thing that you need to keep in mind.
The laptop connection speed will be set by the desktop, for ex. if run something have on the desktop(game, graphic editor etc), that will effect the connection
speed of the laptop because the desktop acts as a "bridge"....

Good Luck

Edited by groovicus, 02 August 2005 - 06:42 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users