Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Reset Router

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 oldman100

oldman100

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:32 AM

Posted 14 September 2009 - 10:10 PM

I have a linksys wrt110 wireless router. Need to use it in none wireless mode for short term max security. Can this unit be setup in this manner?? I disabled the ssid but I can still see and use the wireless portion.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,872 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2009 - 09:34 AM

Every wireless router that I have seen...also has ports which can be used for wired connections.

Although I employ a wireless router, I don't have any wireless connections so I cannot accurately speak of such. I could be wrong but I believe that the native security features of the router come into play automatically with a wired connection...whereas wireless transmissions are not protected by those features. Which is why wireless transmissions require additional security measures such as WEP/WPA.

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1142

Louis

#3 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2009 - 09:59 AM

Off the top of my head I would say that wireless can be disabled. Any Linksys wireless router I have dealt with has had that ability.
Just where and how to disable it on the wrt110....I do`t know.

Here is the PDF manual for it. I poked around in it a little bit but did not see anything.

#4 oldman100

oldman100
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2009 - 02:05 PM

Thanks for your replies. I finally found the answer: Security Mode set to 'Disabled" and Wireless Configuration must be set to "Manuel" and Network Mode set to "Disabled".

#5 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,116 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:32 PM

Posted 18 September 2009 - 12:06 AM

Futher explaining. You need to log into the router with a wired connection, the ip Address for Linksys is 192.168.1.1 (if this is the primary router) enter in the user name and password. Go into your wireless internet settings and disable the wireless internet.

Edited by Sneakycyber, 18 September 2009 - 12:06 AM.

Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users