Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dropping Packets

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 hackman2007

hackman2007

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:24 AM

Posted 14 September 2009 - 09:47 PM

I'm using a Linksys WUSB54GSC on one of my computers. I just recently upgraded the computer to Windows 7 Professional x86 RTM. Ever since the upgrade (in which I did a fresh/clean install by the way), accessing the Internet has been horrible.

I tried using ping and the respone can be from anywhere from 10-1500ms. The network adapter worked perfectly in Windows Vista Home Premium 32 bit with SP2. It suffers packet loss anywhere from 25-50% of the packets (Request Timed Out error from ping). I have tried pinging the router, outside websites, and even other computers on the network, same thing happens. I also tried switching to OpenDNS, which didn't affect the network performance.

I checked the advanced properties and the adapter is operating at high performance mode and is correctly set for 802.11g.

My router is a Linksys WRT54G with DD-WRT Micro. But as I said, it worked perfectly with Windows Vista, so I doubt this is the problem.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this problem?

Specifications of the Computer
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 at 2.4GHz
Abit IP35-E motherboard with 14 BIOS
eVGA 9600GSO stock clocked
Windows 7 Professional x86 RTM
2GB RAM (DDR2 800)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:24 AM

Posted 14 September 2009 - 11:07 PM

Did you see if your NIC has Windows 7 drivers? I'm sure Windows 7 has drivers but you'll need to see if the manufacture of the NIC has Win 7 drivers

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#3 hackman2007

hackman2007
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2009 - 08:07 AM

Did you see if your NIC has Windows 7 drivers? I'm sure Windows 7 has drivers but you'll need to see if the manufacture of the NIC has Win 7 drivers

When I looked at the manufacturer site, all I saw was Windows XP.

I think it's using a Windows Vista driver. I just find it odd that it is connected in the first place if the driver isn't supposed to work.

#4 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2009 - 08:31 AM

Most of the drivers that get installed from Windows will make the piece of hardware work but it might not work correctly.

And I say that because of what you said. That you've pinged things on your LAN and you still experienced packet loss. What happens if you ping the loopback - 127.0.0.1?

Did you download the drivers for Vista and install them? or are you just using what Windows 7 installed?

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#5 hackman2007

hackman2007
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2009 - 08:36 AM

Most of the drivers that get installed from Windows will make the piece of hardware work but it might not work correctly.

And I say that because of what you said. That you've pinged things on your LAN and you still experienced packet loss. What happens if you ping the loopback - 127.0.0.1?

Did you download the drivers for Vista and install them? or are you just using what Windows 7 installed?

I used the installation CD to install the drivers, the manufacturer site only contains XP for some odd reason.

If I ping the loopback it returns all of the packets in less than one ms, even if I change the number of packets sent, it still returns them all.

#6 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2009 - 08:51 AM

And this is a wireless connection correct?

You could try resetting the TCP/IP stack. From a command prompt type netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt hit Enter and reboot the computer.

If that doesn't work you could remove the device from Device manager and uninstall the software in Add/Remove programs, reboot and let windows search for drivers. If that doesn't work you have the install disk.

#7 hackman2007

hackman2007
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2009 - 09:08 AM

Yes, this is a wireless connection.

I tried resetting the TCP/IP stack, but it didn't work.

I will try removing/reinstalling the device this afternoon.

#8 Siyko

Siyko

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2009 - 01:50 PM

I registered because I had this trouble too. I am using a wired connection, but I had the same thing - I could get great speed with no dropped packets on Vista, but when I upgraded to Windows 7 I had a lot of dropped packets.

I went into my NIC settings and manually set my card to 100 Megabit / Full Duplex. This completely fixed the problem. Hope this helps.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users