Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Software Upgrading Issues...

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 uberdude007

uberdude007

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 PM

Posted 14 September 2009 - 06:52 PM

My mom has an ASUS EeePC 2G Surf. We used the software restore function on it. It is no longer allowing us to update anything but the BIOS. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated, as I hear about it frequently. She also can't use Java. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Jessen.
The searchbar is your friend...
also, try
Google

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_SteinPooch_*

Guest_SteinPooch_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 22 October 2009 - 03:55 PM

Hi,
What Linux Distro do you have on it?

#3 miltonhork

miltonhork

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2009 - 07:01 AM

You have to reboot your box.If you have already rebooted your box, and it appears to be stable, there is no need to go back. In case it is rebooted it will then come back with the old kernel and openafs.

#4 uberdude007

uberdude007
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2009 - 05:22 PM

Hi,
What Linux Distro do you have on it?

The original Xandros Linux is on it.

You have to reboot your box.If you have already rebooted your box, and it appears to be stable, there is no need to go back. In case it is rebooted it will then come back with the old kernel and openafs.

Can you dumb that down? I'm not a Linux guy...I'm used to working with Windows-based PCs and non-command-line based MacOS X stuff.
also, try
Google

#5 Trio3b

Trio3b

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2009 - 11:02 PM

What is it that you want to update? Update the kernel, the whole OS, individual apps? Why do you need to update the BIOS?

#6 uberdude007

uberdude007
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:44 PM

Posted 27 October 2009 - 03:26 PM

What is it that you want to update? Update the kernel, the whole OS, individual apps? Why do you need to update the BIOS?

Individual apps.
It only lets us update the BIOS. That's where the problem is.
It won't let us update or install anything but BIOS Updates.
We're on the latest rev of the BIOS too.
also, try
Google

#7 Trio3b

Trio3b

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2009 - 10:51 PM

Well I don't use the eee, but BIOS accessibility on most any PC or laptop is independent of the OS. BIOS upgrades are usually reserved for very outdated firmware or serious bugs in the eee BIOS, which I haven't heard of. BIOS updates are dangerous if not meant for specific known issues. You can render your PC unbootable.

I'm not understanding. Are you booted into the Xandros operating system at all? If so, are your repos setup properly? The BIOS updates would probably come from ASUS, but the software updates would come from the Xandros (or whatever distro the eee is running) repos. These may be two different URLs. You would add or update software using Synaptic (I think).

Try -->here

Edited by Trio3b, 27 October 2009 - 11:10 PM.

#8 uberdude007

uberdude007
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2009 - 11:02 AM

I'm not sure I could be any clearer.
I am running the default Eee Linux operating system, which includes KDE, but it is highly recommended that it not be used due to stability and performance issues.
I can't change the Synaptic repositories because there is no option to.
When I go in to the "Add/Remove Programs" dialog under the System tab, the only option available is "Install BIOS Updates"
I have no desire to install BIOS updates. I simply want to download and install programs. I don't know where you got the notion that I wanted to do any BIOS updating, as in previous posts I stated that I wanted to install programs, not BIOS updates. I don't know how to explain it much better.
also, try
Google

#9 Trio3b

Trio3b

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2009 - 03:31 PM

Sounds like Synaptic is wonky. You may have to access Synaptic via the command line and reset repositories. The link I gave you addresses this as well as this link -->here

#10 uberdude007

uberdude007
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2009 - 08:48 PM

Sounds like Synaptic is wonky. You may have to access Synaptic via the command line and reset repositories. The link I gave you addresses this as well as this link -->here

Okay.
Now we're on the same page.
Thanks!
I'll try that and get back to you with the results!
also, try
Google

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users