Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Virus is disabling all of my antivirus software

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 bobfunland

bobfunland

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:06 PM

Posted 14 September 2009 - 06:40 PM

I got a virus from a program I tried to run. It is slowing down my computer and causing pop-ups to appear. It's an extreme annoyance especially because I have to write a paper now, so I'm desperately trying to get rid of it!

The problem is that it is disabling all of my Antivirus software. In the past, if I suspected anything, Superantispyware would do the trick immediately. Now I cannot update it, and any scans I run with it pick up viruses but deleting them never works. All antivirus websites are blocked as if redirected in the Hosts file, except they aren't in the Hosts file. I downloaded Spybot, HijackThis, Avast, and Malwarebytes from download.com. Spybot ran but didn't do anything. Avast will not even install. Malwarebytes installs but when it scans, it stops halfway and then closes, and then uninstalls itself! HijackThis will install, but when it scans, the same thing happens. The virus is actually uninstalling my antivirus software, and hence I have no HijackThis log. I don't have System Restore turned on. I don't get pop-ups in Safe Mode but the virus has put web shortcuts on my desktop and a false notification box appeared despite the security of Safe Mode What's going on?

Thank you in advance; it is MUCH appreciated.

edit: RootRepeal also installs but closes when I try to run it
edit 2: I ran a Microsoft IE-based scanner and it seemed to be going well, until it suddenly closed. I tried to open up IE again and now I cannot access it.

Edited by bobfunland, 14 September 2009 - 06:58 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,807 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:06 PM

Posted 14 September 2009 - 09:24 PM

As no logs have been posted, I am shifting this topic from the specialized HiJack This forum to the Am I Infected forum.

==>PLEASE DO NOT NOW POST LOGS<== unless a log is specifically requested.
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users