Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Keyboard/Mouse freeze

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 mhg

mhg

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:37 PM

Posted 14 September 2009 - 05:10 PM

Acer laptop, using integrated keyboard and trackpad, running Windows XP SP 3.

Had been running okay, then Mum reported that it was hanging. Mouse was non-responsive, but would sometimes jump around.

I had a look, tried lots of things and made it worse.

So, first off, booting to Safe Mode is fine. Keyboard and mouse work fine for hours.
Second, booting to regular mode, it was getting to login screen. It froze before I could select the account and enter the password.
Used safe mode to autologin. Just have time to hit ctrl-alt-del which starts task manager. Machine appears to run fine at 50 to 60% CPU... just the mouse and keyboard do not respond.

A bit more on how I got there, since I improved some things before making them worse.

From safe mode used system restore to back up a month or so.
Booted fine... but CPU was running at 60 to 80% when idle. McAfee Hacker Watch (HWAPI) was using all the CPU.
Ran full anti-virus scan. Nothing reported.
Ran full F-Secure BlackLight Rootkit Eliminator. Nothing reported.
Ran quick and then full Malware Bytes scan. Reported two registry errors that prevent MS from report antivirus and firewall stopped.

Other than hacker watch everything looked okay. Looked at the internet and it suggest heavy McAfee CPU if component got corrupted. Solution: Uninstall and reinstall McAfee.
So I disconnected from the internet, uninstall McAfee and rebooted.

Thats is where I am upto today. Without HWAPI it appears that the keyboard and mouse freeze. They work momentarily after automated login, but not long enough to do anything.
It is not hardware related... since it works just fine in safe mode.

Not sure what to do next. MSConfig does not seem to let me reset services and startup programs in safe mode (well maybe the programs work don't run any more).
Keyboard and mouse lock up before login (when it had the login screen), so I suspect a service rather than startup (login) program.
There are no scheduled tasks.

From safe mode, can I reconfigure the services that will be used at next regular boot?
Is there a better way of attacking this problem?

I have file by file backup of the server from about three months ago. It is a very low use machine, probably not had anything installed other than MS patches since the backup.

Whats next?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mhg

mhg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:37 PM

Posted 17 September 2009 - 05:07 PM

Still looking at this. I can start in safe mode, add stuff to the start menu which runs after automated login.

I have been able to get software onto the C: drive, but most of needs to install and you can not run installs in safe mode.

Still looking for ideas.

Trying to get a hijackthis log from normal mode. It is running, but I am not sure it saves and I can not interact
by the time the run completes.

I presume hijackthis report from safe mode is no good?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users