Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Disabeling Javascript actions

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 CACS

CACS

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:31 AM

Posted 14 September 2009 - 02:16 PM

I am a teacher at a school in which I have taken on a roll of part time tech. Our students are able to send each other chat invites through a program called WebCT (blackboard now owns). We have tried disabeling chat in our individual classes. We have also tried to copy SpyBot and add the URL that we found them using to the 127.0.0.1 portion of the Windows/system32/drivers/etc/Host, but to no avail. I did notice that when you click the button to invite others to chat, a javascript action is started (java script:sendInvitation(true);. Is there a way to block this javascript action? Any Input would be helpful. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• Members
  • 12,944 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:31 AM

Posted 14 September 2009 - 07:29 PM

Hi CACS and welcome to BC.

From what I have read, the chat module is a javascript popup. You can block those, but that also blocks tests. I would suggest blocking port 4445 via your firewall. This blocks chat.

Site: https://webct.utsa.edu/FAQ.htm#chat

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

#3 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,569 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2009 - 09:16 PM

Do they have spelling classes for teachers in your school?

#4 CACS

CACS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:31 AM

Posted 15 September 2009 - 01:43 PM

tos226 - That was uncalled for. I am worried about my class and you have to add a comment like that. So I spelled disabling wrong, I take it you have never spelled anything wrong before. Why are you on this discussion in the first place?

rigel - Thank you very much! I hope this works.

#5 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,569 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2009 - 02:58 PM

I've spelled many things incorrectly.
I am not a teacher of young children who need to learn from a teacher.
Disabling was just one. ROLL is another - usually refers to hoagie roll and similar. INVITES is a verb not a noun.
Sorry to upset you.

I hope you do get to solve this interesting issue.

I wonder if the Windows Messenger service plays a role in this issue. If so, it could be disabled as well, permanently. But the firewall solution sounds best to me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users