Posted 14 September 2009 - 01:52 PM
I have a Toshiba Satellite A105 laptop right now and I probably bought it in 2006, so it's a few years old now. I never had any problems with it until recently. I admit to be a Toshiba fanatic, so I want another Toshiba, but I'm low on cash right now.
I'll be student teaching in January so I need a reliable computer that can run Microsoft Office on it. I found the L305 at Best Buy for $329, and saw that it got incredible reviews for a cheap computer. I'm interested in looking into it more but I'm not all that computer savvy. I just know that I need USB ports, optical drive, and a computer that can run Microsoft Office. Other than school work, I only really mess around on the internet.
The L305 has this:
* Toshiba Satellite Laptop with Intel® Celeron® Processor
* 6-cell lithium-ion battery
* Software: Toshiba Disc Creator, DVD Player, Microsoft Works 9, Adobe Acrobat Reader and more
* Owner's manual
* Intel® Celeron® processor 900
Features a 800MHz frontside bus, 1MB L2 cache and 2.2GHz processor speed.
* 2GB DDR2 memory
For multitasking power, expandable to 4GB.
* Multiformat DVD±RW/CD-RW drive with double-layer support
Records up to 8.5GB of data or 4 hours of video using compatible DVD+R DL and DVD-R DL media; also supports DVD-RAM.
* 15.4" widescreen TFT-LCD display
With TruBrite technology and 1280 x 800 resolution provides native support for 720p content to bring your movies and games to life.
* 160GB Serial ATA hard drive (5400 rpm)
Offers plenty of storage space.
* Mobile Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 4500MHD
With 128MB - 830MB dynamically allocated shared graphics memory. Built-in stereo speakers.
* CD/DVD control buttons
Provide easy media control.
* 3 high-speed USB 2.0 ports
For fast digital video, audio and data transfer.
* Built-in Realtek high-speed wireless LAN (802.11b/g)
Connect to the Internet without wires.
* Built-in 10/100 Ethernet LAN
With RJ-45 connector for quick and easy wired Web connection.
* Weighs 5.5 lbs. and measures just 1.5" thin
For portable power.
* Good battery life
Of up to 2 hours and 40 minutes.
* Glossy black finish with an onyx blue lid
For a stylish look.
* Microsoft Windows Vista Home Basic Edition operating system
With Service Pack 1 (SP1) preinstalled provides a stable computing platform.
* Software package included
With Toshiba Disc Creator, DVD Player, Microsoft Works 9, Adobe Acrobat Reader and more. 60-day trial version of Microsoft Office Home and Student 2007 Edition also included.
Is it worth it? Or should I just spring some extra money for a slightly better laptop? How does it compare to the A105 I have now? I don't want to downgrade.