Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Defender aomalies.

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 AnCreabhar

AnCreabhar

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:28 PM

Posted 14 September 2009 - 01:01 PM

I've just had a major invasion on my main "server" computer in my home network where the AV and antimalware programs were disabled and I couldn't start in safe mode.

I ran combofix (which I had to rename) and then the Kapersky Virus Removal Tool and to the best of my abilities dealt with the problems they found.

I'm still in the cleanup phase of that exercise and decided to update and run Windows Defender. When I went to start it (I have it in Programs - Security in my start menu) I discovered the icon had changed and now showed a male head shot. I clicked it anyhow and got the "MSACui.exe is not a valid win32 application".

I think I still have some way to go to clean up this infection but don't know where to go from here. Your assistance would be much appreciated.

The box is an Intel 2.8 with 2gig memory
Running Windows XP Pro with automatic updates turned on so up to date (though I blocked IE8 installation)
Just changed to Comodo Free as AV system

I have a copy of MiniBart PE which I use to access when I can't get in any other way.

TIA

Edited by AnCreabhar, 14 September 2009 - 01:14 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users