Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Police Pro

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 kzach11

kzach11

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:28 AM

Posted 14 September 2009 - 12:44 PM

Hi all.

I have a Toshiba Satellite laptop that's a few years old. It's running Windows XP. From the time I've had this thing, I've had little to no virus problems, until recently.

In June I got the AV360 virus and couldn't fix it myself. I had to take it in and a guy repaired it for me and everything was running fine again.

Then in the last few weeks, I've been getting viruses like crazy. I had the Windows Anti-Virus Pro and Windows Police Pro, but I've been able to remove them. I use fixtm.exe, then I end the svchast.exe and windows antivirus pro processes, then I run MalwareBytes, and the problem is gone.

It came back today as Police Pro, and I can't get rid of it. It won't let me run Malwarebytes. In fact, I think it may have somehow deleted my program entirely. I tried to redownload it and it started the scan and then disappeared again. I tried Spybot Search and Destroy but it keeps shutting that down too. I ran my AVG Anti-Virus and it didn't pick anything up (because it's a pile of crap).

Another problem I have been having is that when I do a yahoo or google search, I'll click on a result and it takes me to a fake search engine site. When I try to open certain programs, an error message pops up with the location of the file.

My questions:
1. How do I get rid of this if I can't get Malwarebytes to work?
2. What is a better free anti-virus than AVG, because AVG doesn't pick up crap.
3. What can I do to better protect myself against these viruses? I don't go on "questionable" websites.

Thank you for the help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Eric RBA

Eric RBA

• Members
  • 252 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:28 AM

Posted 14 September 2009 - 02:29 PM

• If you're still having "new" problems then the likely cause in your case is that you didn't really get rid of the old issues.
  • AVG is not a pile of crap. It works just fine if you keep the program updated and running properly. It has done well for me for as long as I have had it (we're talking years here) and I'm infection free. It will do just as well at finding VIRUSES as any other freeware program. (And it does a better job than Norton or McAfee's high cost programs.)
  • I would suggest you get on another computer and download Malwarebytes. Then you'll want to rename the .exe file to something else, such as zztoy.exe (as one BC expert suggests) by right clicking on the file and choosing "Rename". Then put that file on a CD or flash drive. Use that to install the program on the infected PC. You will need to get to a point where you can run Malwarebytes in a full scan on the infected PC, so try starting in Safe Mode first. If that works and you can clean up the PC a little, try it in Normal Mode next doing a full scan.
  • Then go and get SuperAntiSpyware to install and run a Complete Scan with that.
  • Come back after the scans and let us know how it goes, or let us know if you need more assistance to perform the scans.
  • Finally, and I say this in a light-hearted tone, stop doing whatever it is that you're doing that keeps getting your nasty infections. Anti-virus programs, firewalls and anti-malware programs can only do so much to protect you.

Edited by Eric RBA, 14 September 2009 - 02:48 PM.

I would never ask a person to do something that I wouldn't do myself.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users