Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

chkdsk loop during start-up

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 CPSmurf

CPSmurf

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 AM

Posted 14 September 2009 - 12:34 PM

The computer is a Dell Dimension 9100 which is about 3 or 4 years old running XP.

Current issue: chkdsk keeps running and logon screen doesn't appear.

Background: The computer has been freezing during scans. I was using McAffee, but switched to Trend Micro several months ago. I also use the free version of SuperAntiSpyware. Each time I've had to perform a hard shutdown of the computer. Sometimes I would get a blue screen, and other times it would just freeze. This has happened with ALL three scanning software programs. For the most part, I have been postponing weekly scans in order to minimize any issues. Additionally, some scans have been completed, but very few of them, and only after a restart and chkdsk.

Yesterday, I finally was able to pinpoint a file that the scans were hanging on. It belongs to a professional tax preparation software program called Drake and the specific file was from its 2005 version. I tried to scan the folder it was in and again the system froze. After a reboot and chkdsk, I removed the folder to the recycle bin and tried another full system scan using SuperAntiSpyware. At some point, I got a blue screen and attempted a hard shutdown. At that point, there was a chkdsk loop that ran for hours.

I was able to intervene and try a safe mode boot, but again, the ckdsk loop started. Several hours later, there was a regular logon (not safe mode) and I logged on. A yellow triangle icon appeared in the tray indicating that the winlogon.exe (or similiar) was corrupt and that chkdsk needed to be run. Since it was late, I left the computer on and went to sleep. This morning, there was a blank black screen. I had mouse control, but could not get the screen to accept any input, so I did another hard shutdown.

Again, the chkdsk procees ran for nearly 4 hours. Finally a regular logon screen appeared and I was able to logon -- no error messges in the tray.

Assuming that I don't run into another black screen, what should I do next? I've transferred a few files that I need for my business, but I don't know whether I should try a back-up, run a scan, or just sit in the corner sucking my thumb hoping the bad man goes away...

Thanks for your help.

Follow up: Now I can only move the mouse around, but can't access any programs. I can't access the computer through my network.

Edited by CPSmurf, 14 September 2009 - 01:08 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,272 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:42 AM

Posted 14 September 2009 - 01:22 PM

Start/Run...type chkdsk /r (space between k and /) and hit Enter.

Type Y in response to onscreen query and hit Enter.

Reboot and let command execute...system will boot into XP once command has done its work.

You may have hard drive problems, if chkdsk is unable to complete or reports any error message.

Hard Drive Installation and Diagnostic Tools - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/28744/hard-drive-installation-and-diagnostic-tools/

If so, then download the appropriate diagnostic and run the extended/long test for the hard drive.

Louis

#3 CPSmurf

CPSmurf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2009 - 03:37 PM

The computer was frozen so I had to reboot it. It did not go through a chkdsk cycle but instead I received this message "Drive 5 not found Parallel ATA, PATA-1 (PRI IDE SLAVE)". I pressed 1 to continue, and the login screen appeared as normal. After I was logged on, I followed the instructions from above.

It is currently running through that process, and is on step 4 of 5 (about 34% complete) and a bad cluster has already been replaced.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,272 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2009 - 04:42 PM

It doesn't replace a bad cluster, it merely marks it as unuseable.

Bad clusters are not necessarily major concerns, as some think they are...virtually every hard drive has some. The key factor, IMO, is frequency and location.

What is a bad sector - http://www.tech-faq.com/bad-sector.shtml

I suggest not worrying about such...the chkdsk /r command is designed to enable recovery of files which might be in bad sectors, which is why (IMO) it's the only chkdsk command worth running.

Louis

#5 CPSmurf

CPSmurf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2009 - 07:33 PM

Thanks Louis

I've looked at the link you posted on hard drive issues, but its kind of overwhelming -- chkdsk is taking another pass, so we'll see what happens.

I'll keep you posted.

#6 CPSmurf

CPSmurf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2009 - 10:21 AM

I left the computer running again, and it went through several more chkdsk's and its still going.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,272 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2009 - 10:28 AM

Not good at all :thumbsup:.

Time to try the appropriate hard drive diagnostic (long/extended test), I believe.

Louis

#8 CPSmurf

CPSmurf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2009 - 10:01 AM

A friend has taken the hard drive to his house to run the tests. I'll let you know what the results are.

#9 CPSmurf

CPSmurf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2009 - 02:16 PM

It looks that there are several corrupted blocks, but everything else passes with flying colors.

I've decided to buy a new hard drive and then attempt to access the old hard drive with that, but I'm having some trouble installing it -- I'll read up on hard drive installations and post if I can't figure it out.

Thanks for your help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users