Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Server Advise

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 nano151

nano151

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:06 AM

Posted 14 September 2009 - 11:49 AM

Never Mind. The used server was sold already

We are getting ready to upgrade our server here at work and my experiance with these is limited. OPTION A is a new machine while OPTION B is approx 2 yrs old and used by our network guys to run their SQL in their colo. There is a $2,300 price difference between the two, but i don't want to get into something that is already outdated or slower than the new unit.

OPTION A (NEW)
Supermicro SuperServer - Server - rack-mountable - 2U - 2-way - 2 x Intel - Quad-Core Xeon E5405 / 2 GHz CPU - RAM 0 MB -6- Seagate Barracuda ES.2 - Hard drive - 500 GB - hot-swap 3.5" - - DVD - ATI ES1000 - Gigabit Ethernet, 4-2GB DDR2 SDRAM Memory Module - 2GB - 533MHz
Microsoft Windows Server 2008 Standard
VMware ESXi virtualization (FREE)
CENTOS-5 (FREE)

OPTION B (USED)
- 2U Supermicro case with 6 x 3.5" hot swap SATA drive cages
- Supermicro motherboard w/ PCI-e slots (don't know model off-hand)
- Dual Xeon 3.2Ghz CPU w/ Hyperthreading
- 4GB RAM (I think DDR but not 100% positive)
- Dual 300GB Seagate ES.2 Enterprise hard drives
- Dual gigabit NICs onboard
- Intel PRO/1000 dual gigabit add-on NIC card
- Adaptec SAS-3405 RAID card with 4-ports (RAID 1,0,5,6,10,50,60)
- slim-line CD-ROM drive (I believe)
- mounting rails

Thanks,
Alex

Edited by nano151, 14 September 2009 - 02:37 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users