Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unwanted 'PLONK' Sounds

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 gamekeeper

gamekeeper

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:22 PM

Posted 14 September 2009 - 06:03 AM

ACER T120 Desktop XP Home SP3.
When using the internet, I get an annoying 'PLONK / PLOP' sound, usually during search, or when swapping pages/sites/links etc.

I've been through C.Panel > Sounds, but can't seem to find either what might prompt the sound,,,, nor the actual sound made.

I ended up turning ALL sounds off, but this 'plonk' persists.

Not life threatening,,,, but damned annoying at times.

It seems to occur when either opening a www site, or searching therein. I was advised that it might be the sound caused by the Info Bar, but it isn't.

Any ideas please ?

I've done a HT log.

Edited by gamekeeper, 15 September 2009 - 02:34 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Seacow

Seacow

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:22 AM

Posted 14 September 2009 - 06:31 AM

Perhaps use a tool that can record sound coming from your system. If we had a sample of this 'plonk' noise, it helps tons. You have a microphone? You could use that to record sound coming from your system.

Posted Image

#3 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:05:22 PM

Posted 14 September 2009 - 12:34 PM

Could your pop-up blocker be causing the sound? If you use the blocker included with sp2 or sp3, and you have no sounds set you won't hear it. But you might if it's another blocker program. If it happens on sites you normally go to that don't have pop-ups, you can probably rule this one out as a cause.

#4 gamekeeper

gamekeeper
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2009 - 02:13 AM

SEACOW: Thanks,,,, not sure how to record an accurate sound to post,,,, but will look into it. Ta

EVIE: I did wonder if that might be it earlier,,,,, seemed to fit the bill,,,, and i'm sure I turned off the sound.

Am struggling at the moment to get the blocker up, to re do that !

Will try again as the day goes on, & report back.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I was told that a HT log would help someone on these pages to look into this for me.

I have a log ready, but won't waste time & space on these pages until someone 'in the know' asks for it.

many thanks so far,,,,
ACER Aspire T120 - XP Pro SP3 - 2gb (max) RAM - IE8 - Magicolor Laser - Brother A-I-O

#5 gamekeeper

gamekeeper
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2009 - 02:38 AM

Just double checked Pop Up Blocker,,,, & the "Play sound when blocking Pop up" is still turned off.

I also thought that Info Bar might be the culprit, but I disabled it's sound withing C.Panel > Sounds.

The problem isn't life threatening,,,,, but it is a damn nuisance at times, especially when I get a dozen or more plops within a few seconds,,,,,,

ooooops,,,,, I thought i'd put a smilie in the text, but it's appeared at the top ! I have no idea why ?!

Edited by gamekeeper, 15 September 2009 - 02:40 AM.

ACER Aspire T120 - XP Pro SP3 - 2gb (max) RAM - IE8 - Magicolor Laser - Brother A-I-O

#6 starcraftmaster

starcraftmaster

• Members
  • 1,109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:22 AM

Posted 15 September 2009 - 02:51 AM

which browser is it?

#7 gamekeeper

gamekeeper
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2009 - 07:02 AM

which browser is it?

Hi SCM,

Thanks for replying,

As in my sig, i'm still on IE6. Couldn't get IE7 to load and after several attempts, just gave up. Having never used it, I don't know if i'm missing ow't.

cheers

#8 starcraftmaster

starcraftmaster

• Members
  • 1,109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:22 AM

Posted 15 September 2009 - 08:35 AM

well to see if its IE6 thats doing it
download FireFox or Opera(i really like opera)
install them and browse away
if it happens in them , then thats just strange lol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users