Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem after Problem.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Cheesezilla

Cheesezilla

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:47 PM

Posted 13 September 2009 - 09:38 PM

I swear, after all of this is over im only going to have one strand of hair on my head.

Ive got CD ROM drive issues and HDD issues.

Ill try and make this easy for you guys and hopefully i wont have to explain myself again.

CD ROM:

Its not being registered. It has power, the tray opens and shuts. But the CD inside wont spin. ( well, i can't hear it spin)
Ive looked on "My computer" on my desktop and the CD drive is no where to be found.
Ive even checked device manager and there is no "!" or anything. Heck, the CD ROM drive isn't even on device manager.

Ive tried changing CD-ROM cables and the problem still persists. Could it maby have anything to do with the connectors on my motherboard?

Hard Drive:

I tore apart my old external HDD and pulled out this old IDE HDD. I thought my computer had IDE connectors on it but when i read the little legend inside the computer case it said the connectors were CD-ROM/DVD connectors (IDE).

So when i connected the IDE cable to and booted up my PC it didn't register the HDD.
My computer does have SATA connectors on it, will i have to go out and buy a IDE to SATA adapter?

Sorry if any of this is confusing. I usually don't explain stuff correctly when im frustrated lol :thumbsup:

Thanks for reading!
Cheesezilla

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,751 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:47 PM

Posted 14 September 2009 - 07:59 AM

IDE connections on a desktop will accommodate any IDE device, either hard drive or optical drive.

If you are connecting a hard drive and an optical drive on the same IDE cable...the hard drive should be on the end connector of the cable, with the optical drive on the "middle" connector.

And the jumper settings for each drive...must be either Cable Select for each...or Master for the hard drive, Slave for the optical drive.

Louis

#3 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:47 PM

Posted 14 September 2009 - 02:25 PM

If the HDD drive doesn't work on the IDE cable and the CD-rom doesn't work on the IDE cable I would surmise that the IDE controller is bad.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users