Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

UAC rootkit removal help

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 some2199

some2199

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:21 PM

Posted 13 September 2009 - 06:12 PM

Hi,

I'm having some problems with a UAC rootkit infection. I'm using Windows XP 2002 Version with Service Pack 3. Initially I picked up a version of the rootkit associated with the rogue anti-virus program 'Total Security'. The Sophos Anti-Virus I'm running didn't pick anything up and I got invasive ad windows, Google redirects and unexplained background audio playing. I ran Anti-Malware, and after renaming the .exe it seemed to get rid of the infection, although it couldn't eliminate UACinit.dll - the delete on reboot option never worked. Recently though it seems to have reappeared, and I again have Google redirects, unexplained clicks and a rogue iexplore.exe appearing (I use Firefox). Anti-Malware is ineffective this time round, and Sophos Anti-Rootkit tool throws up a plethora of UAC files. None of them are recommended for deletion and I don't want to go further without more expert guidance. What should I do?

Thanks in advance...

Oh, and it also adds dodgy links to posts I make in forums. There may be one below this. What fun.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,740 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:21 AM

Posted 13 September 2009 - 09:30 PM

Hello let's confirm this infection.
We Need to check for Rootkits with RootRepeal
  • Download RootRepeal from the following location and save it to your desktop.
  • Extract RootRepeal.exe from the archive (If you did not use the "Direct Download" mirror).
  • Open Posted Image on your desktop.
  • Click the Posted Image tab.
  • Click the Posted Image button.
  • Check only the FILES box: Posted Image
  • Push Ok
  • Check the box for your main system drive (Usually C:), and press Ok.
  • Allow RootRepeal to run a scan of your system. This may take some time.
  • Once the scan completes, push the Posted Image button. Save the log to your desktop, using a distinctive name, such as RootRepeal.txt. Include this report in your next reply, please.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users