Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Read help badly

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 jedjeds

jedjeds

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:04 AM

Posted 13 September 2009 - 06:06 PM

so i posted on the wrong thread a while ago.. sory for that.. so im having a problem on my disk space actually everything was ok with my PC until yesterday... my father was working on a MS word file and all of a sudden wen he wants to save suddenly it displays that the drive C: was full... i have a partition i have a 119gig drive E: in which i put my games and other unimportant stuff then my drive C: wer i put programs like yahoo mesnger and MS office... and then i noticed wen i go to my computer to check the disk space the disk space of drive C: is still ok.. and when i refresh it and check again it suddenly drops down on disk space slowly eating up disk space... and then suddenly goes to normal again... i have an NOD32 ESET for my antivirus also tried defraging and fixing the saving options of MS word... and still it wasnt the solution... one of my friends said to use combo fix so i followed the instructions here and nothing went wrong still normal startup and still the disk space is getting down on numbers.... i have a log of my combofix... just really nid ur help guys... please help me... i tried everything

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 60,833 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:04 AM

Posted 14 September 2009 - 05:47 AM

Hi jedjeds and :thumbsup: to BleepingComputer!

Please note: ComboFix is an extremely powerful tool which should only be used when instructed to do so by someone who has been properly trained. ComboFix is intended by its creator to be "used under the guidance and supervision of an expert." It is NOT for private use. Please read Combofix's Disclaimer.

Using this tool incorrectly could lead to disastrous problems with your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again.

Did you try CheckDisk? You can do this by opening My Computer and right clicking on your C drive. Select properties and on the Tools tab click the Check Now button. Check both options in the next screen and click Start.
You will get a message that tells you the volume cannot be checked right now and if you want to schedule it for the next reboot. Allow this and reboot. You should see the check in progress after the windows splash screen.

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | lockerdome

Malware analyst @ Emsisoft

#3 jedjeds

jedjeds
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2009 - 11:54 PM

i did that also and still my drive C: space keeps on getting low...

#4 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• 60,833 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2009 - 02:55 AM

Lets try the following

ATF-CLEANER
------------------
Please download ATF Cleaner by Atribune. (This program is for XP and Windows 2000 only)Double-click ATF-Cleaner.exe to run the program.
Under Main "Select Files to Delete" choose: Select All.
Click the Empty Selected button.
If you use Firefox browserClick Firefox at the top and choose: Select All
NOTE: If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
If you use Opera browserClick Opera at the top and choose: Select All
NOTE: If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
Click Exit on the Main menu to close the program.
For Technical Support, double-click the e-mail address located at the bottom of each menu.

SUPERANTISPYWARE
-----------------------------
Please download and scan with SUPERAntiSpyware Free
  • Double-click SUPERAntiSypware.exe and use the default settings for installation.
  • An icon will be created on your desktop. Double-click that icon to launch the program.
  • If it will not start, go to Start > All Prgrams > SUPERAntiSpyware and click on Alternate Start.
  • If asked to update the program definitions, click "Yes". If not, update the definitions before scanning by selecting "Check for Updates". (If you encounter any problems while downloading the updates, manually download them from here. Double-click on the hyperlink for Download Installer and save SASDEFINITIONS.EXE to your desktop. Then double-click on SASDEFINITIONS.EXE to install the definitions.)
  • In the Main Menu, click the Preferences... button.
  • Click the "General and Startup" tab, and under Start-up Options, make sure "Start SUPERAntiSpyware when Windows starts" box is unchecked.
  • Click the "Scanning Control" tab, and under Scanner Options, make sure the following are checked (leave all others unchecked):
    • Close browsers before scanning.
    • Scan for tracking cookies.
    • Terminate memory threats before quarantining.
  • Click the "Close" button to leave the control center screen and exit the program.
  • Do not run a scan just yet.
Reboot your computer in "Safe Mode" using the F8 method. To do this, restart your computer and after hearing your computer beep once during startup (but before the Windows icon appears) press the F8 key repeatedly. A menu will appear with several options. Use the arrow keys to navigate and select the option to run Windows in "Safe Mode".

Scan with SUPERAntiSpyware as follows:
  • Launch the program and back on the main screen, under "Scan for Harmful Software" click Scan your computer.
  • On the left, make sure you check C:\Fixed Drive.
  • On the right, under "Complete Scan", choose Perform Complete Scan and click "Next".
  • After the scan is complete, a Scan Summary box will appear with potentially harmful items that were detected. Click "OK".
  • Make sure everything has a checkmark next to it and click "Next".
  • A notification will appear that "Quarantine and Removal is Complete". Click "OK" and then click the "Finish" button to return to the main menu.
  • If asked if you want to reboot, click "Yes" and reboot normally.
  • To retrieve the removal information after reboot, launch SUPERAntispyware again.
    • Click Preferences, then click the Statistics/Logs tab.
    • Under Scanner Logs, double-click SUPERAntiSpyware Scan Log.
    • If there are several logs, click the current dated log and press View log. A text file will open in your default text editor.
    • Please copy and paste the Scan Log results in your next reply.
  • Click Close to exit the program.

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

#5 jedjeds

jedjeds
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2009 - 01:27 AM

i did that also but nothing worked.... i sudenly found out thre is a file pagefile.sys is greatly increasing in size and getting biger and biger.. wat is it??

#6 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• 60,833 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2009 - 03:09 AM

Pagefile is your virtual memory file. It is needed on your computer, and gets bigger when your system needs more virtual memory.

Your computer has RAM (random access memory). This is a hardware component and is used to store data your system is accessing. When this RAM is full and your system still needs additional space (that is, when you are running many applications or applications that need much memory), it will use virtual memory in addition.

Please download and run HardwareInfo.
Click the Run Scan button
Click OK when done and Exit.
It will create a logfile named HardwareInfo.txt in the location from which you run the tool.

Please post the contents of that file here.

Edited by elise025, 22 September 2009 - 03:14 AM.

regards, Elise

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users