Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Slowness with apps starting immediately after boot.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Screeling

Screeling

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:14 AM

Posted 13 September 2009 - 06:00 PM

Hello All,

First time post and could use some advice. My desktop is running XP SP2 and I've been on this install for probably about 4-5 years now. My machine boots up relatively swiftly. Reaches the desktop about as quick as it always have. However, once getting there, if I go to launch an application, it takes upwards of a minute before the app is responsive. It either takes forever for it to pop up or it pops up but then does nothing for a bit.

So the things I've done:
Defragged
Removed pretty much most non-essential start-up tasks (there weren't many to begin with)
Disabled all non-essential services
Ran Combofix
Installed and used Avast anti-virus
Ran Spybot
Ran MalwareBytes

None of this has made a dent. I want to say this problem occurred within the last 6 months, but I can't pin it down to any one event. About the most I did, configuration-wise, around that time was update my video driver. I can post my Combofix log if you guys wanna see it.

Thanks for any help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:14 PM

Posted 13 September 2009 - 07:18 PM

Try running chkdsk /r...and then defragging.

Start/Run...type chkdsk /r (space between k and /) and hit Enter. Type Y in response to onscreen query and hit Enter. Reboot, the command will execute before booting into XP automatically.

I have to wonder...why you had to install an AV program...after all this happened.

ComboFix longs will just result in your post being moved from the XP forum...to one of the BC malware forums. If you have no known malware issues, I suggest that you not post one here.

Louis

#3 Screeling

Screeling
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:14 AM

Posted 16 September 2009 - 06:17 PM

I'd done ChkDsk already (I didn't include it above).

I didn't HAVE to install an AV program or Combofix. The problem manifests as a performance issue and since I had felt I exhausted all normal maintenance options as well as (what I think as having) thoroughly cleaned my start-up, I considered an infection a possible culprit. I didn't state I was having a malware problem, just that I ran these programs in case I did, which, is immaterial anyway because neither had any impact on my performance issues.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,754 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2009 - 07:00 PM

You can check Event Viewer for possible clues, errors that might impact system performance.

How To Use Event Viewer - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/40108/how-to-use-event-viewer/

How much RAM installed?

How much free space on C:? How large is C:?

Louis

#5 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2009 - 11:35 AM

If you AV starts at start up as it should; your slowness you noticed could be your new AV is updating taking up some resources for a minute or more. It all depends on you internet speed and your computer. Am I reading you correctly that you just installed a AV after 4 or 5 years. If so, why so long?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users