Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Removing Sonic Update Manager

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 mikeld

mikeld

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:55 PM

Posted 13 September 2009 - 05:29 PM

Hello, I have a Dell Dimension 4700 with Windows XP SP2. I Recently had to have my operating system re-installed due to a virus. Two programs that were on my system prior to the re-install were "Sonic RecordNow" and "Sonic DLA". Neither of these programs are now on my system and I don't remember ever using them. But, there are two Sonic folders located in Program Files which I believe were brought over from my back-up disks after the operating system re-install:

C:\Program Files\Sonic\DLA (there are 31 files in this folder)

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sonic\Update Manager (there are 10 files in this folder. All have Sonic as the publisher)

I would like to delete all trace elements of the previously installed Sonic DLA.

I deleted the folder “C:\Program Files\Sonic\DLA” without problem

But, when I try to delete the folder “C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sonic\Update Manager” I receive a warning message that states, “Renaming, moving or deleting ‘Update Manger’ could make some programs not work. Are you sure you want to do this?

I do not have any other Sonic/Roxio programs on my system.

Is there a file in “\Sonic\Update Manager” that I should be aware of which could cause problems in other parts of my system if I delete this folder?

Please let me know if I can provide any other information that might be helpful

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2009 - 05:51 PM

Try Revo Uninstaller.

http://www.revouninstaller.com/

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:55 PM

Posted 13 September 2009 - 06:46 PM

Try this:
http://kb.roxio.com/search.aspx?URL=/conte...6CR&PARAMS=
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 mikeld

mikeld
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2009 - 08:30 PM

I have no Sonic or Roxio programs in either "Add or Remove Programs" or the "Windows Installer Clean Up Utility".

The only remaining Sonic folder is "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sonic\Update Manager"

When I attempt to delete this folder I get "“Renaming, moving or deleting ‘Update Manger’ could make some programs not work. Are you sure you want to do this?"

Is it safe to delete the folder with this warning? Is there anything in the Sonic "Update Manager" folder which would cause this warning?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users