Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Kaspersky or Bitdefender?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 why_spyderette

why_spyderette

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:07 AM

Posted 13 September 2009 - 04:01 PM

I currenty have Kaspersky Internet Security 2009 on my computer and it is going to expire soon. I am trying to decide whether or not I should stick with Kaspersky or switch to Bitdefender. Kaspersky slowed down my computer alot and interfered with some programs. It didn't find and remove some malware that Malwarebytes had found. I was told that Bitdefender was a good program and it doesn't have the problems that Kaspersky has. I am wondering which one I should choose and what other people think of the programs. Thanks in advance for everyone's help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Bambo

Bambo

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:07 AM

Posted 13 September 2009 - 04:16 PM

Well someone else will tell you that Norton 2010 is better or ESETs. So dont listen :thumbsup: Test trial versions and see if rumors are true or not. If you uninstall properly, see programs site for uninstall tool, then no reason not to check them all out.

Personally I would not pay for any of them but that is also just something I say. Im also cheap when no real value is in sight btw. You mentioned Malwarebytes so does know one of the reasons. Dont think Bitdefender will remove need for Malwarebytes or protect more. Might be lighter or suit you better compared to Kaspersky though.

Was Kaspersky interfering or just doing its job? If you highly prefer silence may be test Nortons stuff. I believe they make a big deal out of not bothering user.

Edited by Bambo, 13 September 2009 - 04:21 PM.

#3 why_spyderette

why_spyderette
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2009 - 05:03 PM

Kaspersky was slowing my computer down and wasn't finding the infections when it was scanning. That is the reason for having Malwarebytes. It found everything. I want something that will notify me when there is something potentially hazardous trying to get into my computer. I was told Bitdefender was good by a reputable computer repair shop in my area. All I do on my computer is play games, pay bills, surf the web, and my husband records gaming videos. I will try other programs but I don't know what is all out there. I have tried AVG, Norton, and Kaspersky (currently using) and am not to thrilled with the performance. I am wondering what other people have good luck with and am willing to try it.

#4 Bambo

Bambo

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2009 - 09:51 PM

That only leaves Bitdefender does it not? Shop would not happen to be reseller? Typical advice if so... You are not going to get direct useful answers I think, just bits of personal preferences - and why you want to pay from someone like me. But if you feel Norton 2009 or 2010 are too heavy on computer I dont know how computer have survived 1 year with Kaspersky.

If you want other "lighter than Kaspersky but not Norton" suites to test, besides Bitdefender, I would guess ESETs, Aviras should be up.

Alternative but not free:

Since only tool getting some love rigth now is Malwarebytes why not buy Pro version? You get protection not available elsewhere. New ip-blocking is useful. Life long license cost 30$ or so. Tool not likely to be redundant just yet. Then use free version of Avast - soon to get a major make-over. New version looks very nice and is sure to be easy. Microsoft also soon release new free Antivirus/Antispyware program. Another option if tired of Avast. What more you need? You use suites to get firewall I guess? Ok install a tiny one like this http://www.sphinx-soft.com/Vista/order.html, will tell you when programs access internet, or one of the other free ones available. Some easy, some not so easy. No big deal. You dont absolutely need a better firewall than the one in router or Windows.

Still not feeling safe then install WOT http://www.mywot.com/ also blocks pages you dont want to visit. Some are not obvious and warning lights of WOT will make you check once more before moving forward. You have IE8 so good filter already, this is just one more. Adds a bit of delay before entering every page but not too much.

More safety is really up to you - look up "Safe computing" in the sticky posts at top. Using a password manager and good passwords also is always a nice addition. You should not need more to protect computer from your self ;)

Ive seen your other posts now. Worries make sense, single core slow stuffed computer. Well if my alternative idea is usable you might want to check Aviras free AV instead of Avast http://www.free-av.com/en/products/1/avira..._antivirus.html Is lighter than Avast, everything I think. Has a stupid popup when it updates but can be removed - or more legally getting used to. I would also do a similar post in XP forum asking for help to safely remove unneeded processes, startup programs, drivers and services even. With computers like yours all counts - tweaking actually pays off some! I dont know load of Malwarebytes Pro but should be ok with Avast or Avira. Got to be less than a probably not so tweaked Kaspersky Suite, any suite. I doubt they will fly on that computer.

From what you say it does not seem like there is a need to arm computer for war. Installing WOT in browser will fix many internet dangers - perhaps you dont need paid Malwarebytes at all? Many people survive on just an Antivirus/antispyware program and build-in Firewall. Wise to keep Malwarebytes installed of course but real time monitoring could just waste resources. Sites offering you bad downloads or other scams will most likely be picked up by WOT already.

Edited by Bambo, 13 September 2009 - 10:00 PM.

#5 Bambo

Bambo

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2009 - 06:13 AM

The mini firewall I linked to was a bad example since you use XP - so bad you cant use it since for Vista/7 only. But there are others, if you really believe there is a screaming demand for one. I would say it is a component you can skip with no fears. Besides, going for less is better will make even more sense than usual with this computer. Would be a more effective to use Malwarebytes Pro than installing whatever 3rd party firewall on top of XP/router. Some protection ideas work, as in have proven to work, and many are just nuts/gadgets. Like for example monster suites where only half of features are ever used or even understood. Only AV is more or less mandatory, rest can be debated, suggestions for different people in different situations. You can use what fit computer power without risking anything, just installing WOT will beat most WOT-less suites :thumbsup: Not really hard to avoid getting in trouble so dont overdo task.

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,399 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:07 AM

Posted 14 September 2009 - 07:52 AM

Choosing an anti-virus is a matter of personal preference, your technical ability and experience, features offered, the amount of resources utilized, how it may affect system performance and what will work best for your system. A particular anti-virus that works well for one person may not work as well for another. You may need to experiment and find the one most suitable for your use. There is no universal "one size fits all" solution that works for everyone. Another factor to consider is whether you want to use a paid for product or free alternative.

No single product is 100% foolproof and can detect and remove all threats at any given time. The security community is in a constant state of change as new infections appear. Each vendor has its own definition of what constitutes malware and scanning your computer using different criteria will yield different results. The fact that each program has its own definition files means that some malware may be picked up by one that could be missed by another. Thus, a multi-layered defense using several anti-spyware products (including an effective firewall) to supplement your anti-virus combined with common sense and safe surfing habits provides the most complete protection.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#7 why_spyderette

why_spyderette
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2009 - 07:14 AM

Well my computer is shot. It has crashed on me twice since Saturday. I had to take it in to get all the viruses removed and recovery done. Yesterday I scanned with Bitdefender and it found 11 viruses and it said that it got rid of them. My computer started acting up again so I scanned with Malwarebytes and it found the same 11 viruses that Bitdefender found. So I am waiting for it to get fixed and then I am giving it to my husband for recording his gaming videos. I am going to get a new computer and I think I am going to get a Mac. I don't want to deal with viruses. So thank you for all you help.

Edited by why_spyderette, 15 September 2009 - 07:14 AM.

#8 Jonnas_tan

Jonnas_tan

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2009 - 07:59 AM

Yeah, this is a good one!:thumbsup:
If you aren't getting a mac, I recommend Bitdefender, but not the total security, the Internet Security 2010. I can't guarantee it's perfect but at least it has a very good detection rate (see reviews http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2351871,00.asp). I had something else before, but this bitdefender really convinced me. :flowers:

#9 why_spyderette

why_spyderette
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2009 - 11:56 AM

I am having second thoughts about getting a Mac. I got my computer back last Friday and the repair shop put Bullguard on it and so far I am happy with it. It is doing its job. Thanks for everyone's input.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users