Posted 17 September 2009 - 09:02 AM
I've been thinking/remembering what might have caused the problem. I remember doing something that I never did before. I was advised long ago to use CCleaner for unneeded file cleaning, but to never use the registry cleaning feature. I used the registry cleaner. I also -atypical for me- didn't make a registry backup with ERUNT. The few times that I clean the registry I use Macecraft's JV16; I've used it for years with no problems. I usually make a registry backup with ERUNT every day; I reboot and the auto feature makes the backup. I also make a backup when I clean the registry, before installing anything, and when I feel nervous. I believe now that I caused the problem when I used the CCleaner registry cleaner. I did a series of stupid things: I didn't make my daily ERUNT backup; I didn't make an ERUNT backup before cleaning the registry; I cleaned the registry with CCleaner; I didn't sit quietly and review all my actions to find the probable cause of my problems. I feel like Buck Rogers in a spaced opera!