Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Explorer & Virtual Memory

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 cleanforu

cleanforu

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:18 PM

Posted 13 September 2009 - 02:19 PM

Hello,

I have a few questions I am hoping someone can help me with. I also would like to apologize in advance for how I might describe my problems since I am not very good with the right names of items on the computer :thumbsup: .

First my short-cut icons on my desktop... also the icons that I have at the very bottom of the screen that are beside the start icon. Everytime I click on any of them the Windows Explorer pops up on the screen, and tells me that Windows Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close. This has been going on for a week now. I have to go into the files to open anything.

Virtual Memory: It would pop-up once in a while telling me I didn't have enough, and needed to increase the memory, but now it comes up everyday or every other day. I did read how to increase Virtual Memory, but I really didn't understand it. I do not want to just try and increase it, and be wrong and mess it all up, so if someone can explain a easier way to me I would be very grateful. :flowers:

Thank you,
Connie

Regards,
Connie

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,238 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2009 - 02:44 PM

The area of icons next to the Start button is known as the Quick Launch Area or Quick Launch Toolbar and it puts your frequently used things a single click away. If it is broken it is usually not too hard to fix.

The Virtual Memory messages means Windows is doing it's job. They are annoying if they come up too often, but it is not really an error (generally) - it is just an informative message. I would hold off on changing anything concerning that for the moment.

We need to know more about your system so to reduce the number of questions, guessing, etc. and increase the number of good suggestions :thumbsup:

Click Start, Run and in the box enter:

msinfo32

Click OK, and when the System Summary info appears, click Edit, Select All, Copy and then paste back here.

There will be some personal information (like System Name and User Name) and whatever appears to be private that you just delete from the pasted information.

Next, remove the likelihood of malicious software (malware) with these reputable programs.

Download, install, update and do a full scan with these free malware detection programs:

Malwarebytes (MBAM): http://malwarebytes.org/
SUPERAntiSpyware: (SAS): http://www.superantispyware.com/

These can be uninstalled later if desired.

Edited by joseibarra, 13 September 2009 - 02:46 PM.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

#3 cleanforu

cleanforu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2009 - 11:58 PM

Hello Jose,
Thank you for the help... I will send the information about the system, and do I just copy, and paste it to go to Bleeping Computer.com? I did download Malwarebytes a couple of days ago, and it found like 122 infections. I did the SAS about 3 weeks ago when I was having alot of problems, but I uninstalled it because I wasn't sure that it was safe to use. The computer is all clean now after I ran everything a few times, but the computer is still to slow. The Quick Launch buttons are the same, and virtual memory. I wrote down all the system information earlier today. I will enter it in my computer information, and if it's not all that you need I will send the other.
Thanks,
Connie

Regards,
Connie

#4 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,238 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2009 - 06:02 AM

It would be best if you could follow the method to copy and paste the msinfo32 information to eliminate typos and provide as much information in one forum message transaction. Then everyone can see if and help with ideas. If those instructions are not clear, I need to change them.

It should look something like this:

OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Professional
Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 Build 2600
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Type X86-based PC

The MBAM and SAS you installed are respectable free versions to run whenever you feel like it. The malware detection definitions (updates) for any decent scanning program changes (sometimes daily), so always do an update before any scan. I don't see any issue keeping MBAM and SAS installed since they are just sitting there. I have never had a need to suspect them of causing a problem. I switch back and forth between running both every few days even when I don't suspect anything is wrong (you ever know...).

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users