Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Device Manager

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 ==++==

==++==

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:19 PM

Posted 13 September 2009 - 01:32 PM

So here's the deal-- I just got rid of a virus infection (thanks to this awesome website) and my computer's still a little messed up it seems. My device manager wont open with the error message "MMC cannot open C:\WINDOWS\system32\mgmt.msc this could be because it does not exist (it does, i checked) or was created by a later version of mmc. This may also be because have sufficiant rights to access the file" I know i have all rights so...

I have some sort of idea, that by running sfc i replaced the new version with an older one... in this case... how do i update MMC?

and if this is impossible, what should i do?

I want to do a repair reinstall.... but i dont have an installation disk- just a recovery disk... I really am tired of this computer---

Edited by ==++==, 13 September 2009 - 02:36 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:19 PM

Posted 13 September 2009 - 03:46 PM

Download latest MMC 3.0 (which is included in XP SP3) from Microsoft :

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/907265

#3 ==++==

==++==
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2009 - 04:19 PM

I dont think i'm 64 bit.... thats the only xp link i can find... should i download it anyways?

I tried it and it said the service pack i'm running is newer than the update i'm applying.... it wont let me use it

Edited by ==++==, 13 September 2009 - 04:21 PM.

#4 ==++==

==++==
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2009 - 04:23 PM

I also just found out that microsoft update isnt working either... it says i need XML parser, which i just installed for that reason. It still does not work. Any help?

#5 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:19 PM

Posted 13 September 2009 - 08:53 PM

It apears that you have installed SP3 on your computer.
Well you may have to re-install SP3.

Read how to re-install SP3 : http://www.ehow.com/how_5172014_reinstall-sp.html

#6 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,239 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2009 - 06:15 AM

You can eliminate lots of questions about your computing environment by doing providing more information.

Click Start, Run and in the box enter:

msinfo32

Click OK, and when the System Summary info appears, click Edit, Select All, Copy and then paste back here.

There will be some personal information (like System Name and User Name), and whatever appears to be private
to you, just delete from the pasted information.

Here is a MS article I found with a Google search about your MMC issue:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/914231

What exaclty does your message say when your update fails? Maybe something to do with 0x8007007E?

There are several reasons why the update might fail and different solutions, so more details are better.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

#7 ==++==

==++==
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2009 - 05:16 PM

Yes, 8007007e sounds familiar. I think ill try reinstalling sp3 by dowmloading the iso and mounting it on my virtual drive... Ill see what happens.

#8 ==++==

==++==
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2009 - 02:32 PM

alright, reinstalling service pack 3 didn't help with either of the problems. I now have the error code for the update fix though, it's 0x8007045A. Googleing it found nothing but regcure adds, and i'm not sure i want to pay for somthing that might be a scam. Looks like I might have to buy a usb hard drive and do a full system reformat... kinda sucks...

If there's any alternative, let me know. I dont have the installation disk so a repair install isnt gonna work... any help is appreciated.

#9 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,239 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2009 - 02:53 PM

Did you try the MS link from earlier?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/914231

Googling your 0x8007045A results in another very similar MS article:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/836982

and many other articles with the same theme (most with happy endings), but I usually try the ones that come out on the top of the search first (if they make some sense).

I went to Google and entered:

0x8007045A

and clicked Google Search.

Are you able to provide the requested msinfo32 information?

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

#10 ==++==

==++==
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2009 - 03:48 PM

Ill try the new article, but yes, i had already tried the other AND already tried reinstalling parser.. Ill try replacing the dll files.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users