Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

problems after BIOS upgrade

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Not me

Not me

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:48 PM

Posted 13 September 2009 - 12:51 PM

Hi,
After preforming a BIOS upgrade on a Dell inspiron 1000,the system keeps shutting down. System will run for maybe 5 minutes when first started cold before it shuts down and restarts. Each time it restarts it runs for a shorter period of time until it gets to where it is just turning on and off.
After it sits for a few hours the process starts all over.
I have been able to run some of the diagnostics,not all because the system shuts down before it can finish.
To me it acts like something is getting hot and shutting it down. The temperature in the area of the CPU is 106-108f.

Is there a way to reverse the BIOS update?

Any ideas of what needs to be done?

Thanks for any help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:48 AM

Posted 13 September 2009 - 10:27 PM

BIOS updates are not something to play around with, and should usually only be done on advice from the manufacturer. An incorrect one can render your machine unusable which means a reinstall of Windows.

You could try a System Restore, or go to the manufacturer's site and make sure you have recommended one for your machine and OS.

Good luck.

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#3 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:48 PM

Posted 14 September 2009 - 07:23 AM

Was there a reason you performed the BIOS upgrade?

It does sound like an overheating problem, but the CPU, if that is a correct temperature reading is not the problem.

The BIOS are not stored on the hard drive with the OS. They are actually burned to a chip =ROM, Read Only Memory, on the motherboard. If it is a bad or incorrect BIOS flash then a System Restore or re-install will be of no use.

As stated, you can try a re-flash to the previous version.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users