Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Power Outage - Now PC won't power-up

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 cmrisner

cmrisner

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:42 AM

Posted 13 September 2009 - 12:39 PM

Hi everyone,

I experienced repeated power outages in the neighborhood last night and when I went to turn on my Dell Dimension 8400 desktop nothing happend. I tried uplugging the desktop from the APC surge protector, resetting the surge protector, and plugging in the desktop to a different recepticle in the surge protector as well as directly into the wall, of course nothing happend. I know the surge protector is getting power becuase everything else plugged into it is working fine.

When I press the power button the desktop doesn't even attempt to power-up, it simply behaves as if there were no power.

Does this mean I have a blown power supply or are there somethings I can try that might resolve this?

Thanks
Chad

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 AM

Posted 13 September 2009 - 12:45 PM

It sounds like you may have a fried power supply, completely fried motherboard, or both.
The problem is you really won't know i8f the motherboard is damaged until you replace the power supply.
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#3 cmrisner

cmrisner
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:42 AM

Posted 13 September 2009 - 10:38 PM

Can I try using one of the power supplies from an older computer to replace the busted one? Are there any compatability issues I should worry about?

#4 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 AM

Posted 14 September 2009 - 02:27 PM

You will need to try and match the wattage ratings on the power supplies as close as possible. Also make sure it has the same number of pins on the main connector, and the correct connections (IE the 4pin P4 connector required on newer computers). As long as the connectors match and the wattage ratings are close (within 50 watts) it should work to determine if your old power supply is bad.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users