Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable to use keyboard/mouse

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 sirhc1210

sirhc1210

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:08 AM

Posted 13 September 2009 - 11:10 AM

I recently updated my computers motherboard (ASUS NVidia nForce4) driver. It prompted me to restart which i did. When i re-logged in and it asked for my password I found that my keyboard and mouse had been disabled. I restarted and tried again- same problem.

I tried using a non-usb keyboard thinking that maybe the USB drivers were reset or something and that doesn"t work either.

When i tried restarting in safe-mode, I found that the computer recognized the keyboard(or at least the F8 key to get into safemode and scroll through the list of start-up options). Once Windows started up and prompted for my password the keyboard was turned off again.

Any suggestions?

EDIT: I played around with restarting and all a bit more. The keyboard numlock capslock lights up when the computer first starts up and the keyboard is functional through BIOS and all. Once the Windows operating system logo comes up the keyboard becomes nonfunctional.

When the comp was starting up I turned on numlock which stayed on the entire time. When the windows login screen came up the numlock was still on but the keyboard didn't work. I unpluged and repluged in the keyboard and the numlock light went off then didn't come back on when i repluged it in.

Also I tried resetting BIOS to default settings but that was ineffective.

I could try to use Windows Recovery Console to go back to a prior setting but I just recently got a virus off my computer so I'm not sure if a rollback will ressurect that also or not.

I have seen some postings on other forums about letting to computer find the mouse/keyboard and install appropriate drivers. Is there anyway to do that without having to log-in with a password?

Edited by sirhc1210, 14 September 2009 - 09:53 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,945 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:08 AM

Posted 14 September 2009 - 08:41 PM

I restarted and tried to get it into safemode but I can't get past the log-in where it asks for a password.

Did you try just leaving it blank? In Windows XP Home Edition, the password for the administrator account is blank by default since it is not accessible except in safe mode.

In Windows XP Pro, the "Administrator Account" logon option appears in Safe mode if more than one account is created on the system. The administrator account is available in Normal mode only if there are no other accounts on the system. If there are no other accounts, reboot normally and at the log in screen tap the Ctrl+Alt+ DELETE keys twice. This will take you to a different log in screen. Type Administrator and leave the password field blank unless you have set a password on this account). You can also boot to Safe Mode.

I could try to use Windows Recovery Console to go back to a prior setting but I just recently got a virus off my computer so I'm not sure if a rollback will ressurect that also or not.

If you cannot use the computer as it is now, then you may have no alternative. I'd suggest a Repair Install. but it may not solve the issue with your drivers, although its another option to try.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 sirhc1210

sirhc1210
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2009 - 10:31 PM

If I turn the comp on when it first starts I can hit F8, navigate through the menus, navigate BIOS etc.(I'm guessing since those aren't really Windows) As soon as the computer tries to boot Windows the keyboard and mouse stop working.

The thing is i know the password, i just can't enter it since the keyboard doesn't work. It's basically the equivalent of unplugging your keyboard and mouse and then starting a password protected computer. Everything starts fine but as soon as the log-in where you'd put the password comes up, you can't enter anything.

I tired the Recovery Console, but i'm not entirely sure how to work it... a prompt came up and I can access C:\WINDOWS\ :> but i'm not quite sure what I'd be typing in there (of if that's even helpful).

Could I just buy another hard-drive, install windows on that one then boot from that? Or connect my HD to a friends computer and transfer files to another external HD, then reinstall Windows? I think that guide you linked mentioned that so hopefully it's an option ...just thinking of a plan B to losing all my files lol.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,945 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2009 - 07:11 AM

I will direct this topic to our Advisors. One of them may be able to offer their expertise to help you.

#5 sirhc1210

sirhc1210
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2009 - 07:25 AM

OK, thanks for all your help, quietman7.

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,945 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2009 - 07:38 AM

Not a problem. We have an experienced staff team with a wide range of knowledge and skills in various areas so we can assist each other with helping our members.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,248 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2009 - 09:13 AM

<<I tried using a non-usb keyboard thinking that maybe the USB drivers were reset or something and that doesn"t work either.>>

Did you boot the system from a cold start...after replacing the USB devices?

The keyboard/mouse drivers are loaded by XP automatically, they are XP files.

The fact that you are using a USB-connected keyboard/mouse combo...really should have nothing to do with it, unless you have altered the BIOS settings which enable USB devices to function from boot. Since the two devices seem to work up to the point of loading XP...I would assume that the BIOS settings are not involved in the problem.

As previously suggested...a repair install of XP ought to take care of it if the system files are damaged/corrupted.

I'm curious...if the system was working properly...why did you attempt to update any drivers?

Louis

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,945 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2009 - 09:25 AM

if the system was working properly...why did you attempt to update any drivers?

sirhc1210 was encountering BSODs which he indicated had been on an ongoing problem before his infection so that appeared to be a separate issue. He posted this diagnostic info:

A problem has been detected and Windows is shutting down etc...
DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

Make sure new software or hardware is install correctly etc etc

Technical Information:
*** STOP: 0x00000001 (0x00000060, 0x00000002, 0x00000000, 0x72E678c)
*** nvata.sys - Address F72E678c base at F72D3000, DateStamp 43052d35

nvata.sys is related to Nvidia SATA/RAID driver and system crashes appear to be common issue when I did some researching. As such, I advised he might want to try updating them.

Edited by quietman7, 15 September 2009 - 09:25 AM.

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,248 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2009 - 10:00 AM

Thanks, QMan :thumbsup:.

That STOP: 0x00000001 should be STOP: 0x000000D1 and those STOP errors often result in a .dmp message of some sort which may shed more light upon the problem with the system which is creating the BSODs.

Help Diagnosing BSODs And Crashes (BC) - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/176011/how-to-receive-help-diagnosing-blue-screens-and-windows-crashes/

FWIW: Asus makes a number of boards with that particular chipset. Not sure where you downloaded the drivers from...but I would have gone to the Asus drivers designated for my particular board. It's possible that you installed (seemingly compatible) incompatible drivers.

The only attempted resolution I can see at this point is the attempted repair install, it's hard to address other possibilities without being able to boot XP.

Your idea of possibly attaching the drive as a secondary drive on a different system...that works for some things, not for others. That would allow you to run chkdsk /r on the drive in question or move data files from one partition to another...but I don't think it would allow you to remove/install any drivers or system files.

Louis

#10 sirhc1210

sirhc1210
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2009 - 05:04 PM

hey hamluis, thanks for the advise and help.

I was hoping to use Repare Install as a last ditch effort but I finally broke down and did it. Well i tried to at least. I put the disk in, booted from disk, it started loading but then i got the message

INF file txtsetup.sif is curropt or missing, status 32768. Setup cannot continue. Press any key to exit.

I guess i really messed something up... :thumbsup:

anyother suggestions? I tried to load System Recovery Console and I can get to the C:\WINDOWS\ :> ... is there anyhting i can do with that?

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,248 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2009 - 07:05 PM

System manufacturer and model?

I have no idea what "System Recovery Console" is...do you have a Microsoft XP install CD or is this a CD provided by a computer manufacturer with the system?

A clean install is what I would consider a last ditch effort :thumbsup:.

That latest error message you cited...seems to be quite ambiguous in meaning and how to solve it, see http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/81839-45...ng-status-32768

Louis

You can provide the motherboard model any time that you feel like it...I see you didn't respond to that.

Edited by hamluis, 15 September 2009 - 07:06 PM.

#12 sirhc1210

sirhc1210
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2009 - 10:53 PM

The system was a Dell... but i have since switched out the motherboard. The motherboard is now a Asus M2N4-SLI.

I have the Operating System disk which is what i was refering to in my last post.

When i had a virus on my computer i used combofix to scan the computer. (Quietman helped get the virus off the computer so I'm pretty sure it was clean by the combofix scan.) Anyway, when combofix ran it first installed Microsoft Windows Recovery Console and created a restore point.

One of the options i can get to when booting is using Windows Recovery Console. Using that i can access a " C:\WINDOWS\ :> " prompt. I'm not sure what i can really use that for or if i can actually alter settings from that.

#13 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,248 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2009 - 10:45 AM

Aaahhh...that makes some sense :thumbsup:.

Dell what model?

Well...the problem that I "see" is that you have a Dell operating system disk of some sort...which may have installed drivers for a motherboard which is other than the one installed.

I've not ever done such (I don't buy "name brand" computers) and I use Microsoft XP install CDs with the proper motherboard drivers...so I can't say that this is the cause of your keyboard/mouse situation but it seems plausible.

I now suspect that many of your error messages are the result of this using a Dell install CD on a non-Dell motherboard.

For that I have no cure, since it seems that is your only method of installing XP or attempting to repair any XP install. If, in fact, that disk is geared to a specific model of Dell...you cannot use it successfully/legally on a different motherboard.

I'd have to know the model Dell to be sure, since Dell varies in it's practices with install CDs/recovery/restore CDs.

FWIW: http://usa.asus.com/Product.aspx?P_ID=Tiqsh7TlDIG7JbO3

Louis

I suppose I might as well ask...when you changed motherboards, did you do a clean install or did you simply use the same hard drive with the new board?

Edited by hamluis, 16 September 2009 - 10:50 AM.

#14 sirhc1210

sirhc1210
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2009 - 09:08 AM

Well, the harddrive that was in the computer was originally from a laptop- I want to say Inspiron but I'm a little unsure(Oddly enough the when the laptop was all together I still got the same BSOD regarding the drivers that i mentioned earlier. After a restart it usually worked fine). To be honest, I'm a little bit hazy as to what I actually did... I think I used the same harddrive from what i can remember. My old Dell laptop kept overheating so I moved it to a larger box and upgraded the components... new mobo, graphics card, wireless etc etc. My friend who is a lot better with computers than i am had helped me out with this lol. Anyway, a little while after that, the hard drive stopped working altogether and I got a new HD and reinstalled Windows. The computer worked for about 2 years after that reinstall of Windows. Until now.

Hopefully later this week I'm going to try to use my friends computer to get my files off the HD and onto a External HD. Then get a new copy of Windows and try a full reinstall. =/

Although now I'm a little tempted to wait a little bit and try out Windows7.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users