Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Strange But True !

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Jove

Jove

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:58 AM

Posted 13 September 2009 - 10:35 AM

I transferred a file, by dragging it from my desk top to my Document Folder also on the DT, because I wanted to copy it to my, (E:), drive, . . but I was informed that the file could not be
transferred because there were apps opened, so I closed them, then went to place it into the
Doc Folder, I was then informed that this folder was already there, . . do I want to replace it, I have seen this before, . . this is a rather important work file, so I just happen to chance the request to replace it, and went into the Doc folder to check that.

Yep, it was there, I opened it and found it was intact and full of the files that were suppose to be there, . . .
I went back to the desk top and happen to open the folder that I attempted to drag and dump into the Doc file, Surprise there was nothing in it, . .absolutely bare as Mother Hubbards Cupboard.

If I had accepted to replace the file as I often do with recent transfers to files into desktop folders from the desk top that have been previously saved while working on them to that folder and later dragged to it, I would have accepted to replace the file, . . .

Behold, . . it would have been replaced by an empty file,

Whats that all about, like was I suppose to know that ?

Is this a characteristic of My PC or do all machines do this ?

When you don't have to worry about your computer anymore, you can start
living again !

vrwqzc.gif
Success is a result, not a goal. . . . Flaubert

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Vegakitty

Vegakitty

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:58 AM

Posted 18 September 2009 - 09:47 PM

I've got a 2003 HP with XP on it, and it does the exact same thing. I use my computer for working at home, and I have to move files to the archive folder after I'm finished with them, then move them all to a CD once a week. I've found that if I try to move a Word file to a different folder while Word is open, I also end up with a duplicate empty file like the OP describes in the source file, and the first few times it did I nearly had a coronary thinking I might have lost a day's worth of work. But there it was in the other folder. However...now that the OP knows his/her computer does this, they need to check both folders before moving anything else, OR shut down all applications before moving the files. That's what I've been doing.

#3 Jove

Jove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:58 AM

Posted 18 September 2009 - 11:06 PM

Thanks for the reply, . .
Yep, Now it's known, . . this little quirk of a mistake, can make your files disappear, forever.

Good luck with your work and your PC !

When you don't have to worry about your computer anymore, you can start
living again !

vrwqzc.gif
Success is a result, not a goal. . . . Flaubert

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users