Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

64bit IE or 32bitIE which should I use

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Double R59

Double R59

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:07 AM

Posted 13 September 2009 - 06:06 AM

I am new here so hello everyone. couldn't figure out in intro how to say hello. I just have a question regarding IE. I have a Dell labtop studio 1737/windows vista home premium
64bitos. Which IE should I be using,64bit or 32. I purchased from Dell my tech team. Was told by one of there tech's to use 32bit. if this is correct, no problem. I can just leave things as they are. But if 64bit is recommended, would I need to uninstall everything from 32 and then install to 64. Nothing on 64bit browser but favorites bar. Only have 8 months exp. with pc's so please be a little specific with any instructions, but just a little, I learn fast.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zbd

zbd

• Members
  • 390 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2009 - 02:29 PM

Everything works fine using IE 64 bit on my vista system.

http://www.java.com/en/download/faq/java_win64bit.xml

#3 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2009 - 03:57 PM

Hi Double R59. Welcome to BleepingComputer :thumbsup:

You can use any of IE 32-bit or 64-bit.

64 bit is newer, faster version and uses memory more efficiently on a 64-bit Windows based system. But the problem is some activex components were written using 32-bit code, so they may cause problem in 64-bit IE. Simialrly, newer 64-bit ActiveX components, toolbars, add-ons etc will not work in the 32-bit version of IE. Also some sites are more compatible with 32bit IE. So Microsoft has included both 32 and 64 bit versions of IE. If you find problems in 64bit use 32bit, and vice-versa.

More information :
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/896457

Edited by Romeo29, 13 September 2009 - 03:59 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users