Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Administrator status & Serious Error

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 ixel

ixel

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:50 PM

Posted 13 September 2009 - 04:44 AM

I followed BleepComp directions for removing unwanted startup items. When checking my startup items against the database, I identified 3 or 4 programs that appeared to be associated with Trojan horses. I followed the directions for first removing those from the startup list and then deleting them from the hard disk. I don't think I was able to delete them from the hard disk successfully. Since then, the computer has been on the fritz...Blue Screen, "serious error" message (see below), MCAfee shutting down, bubbles popping up that tell me to run Chkdsk utility, etc. etc.

When trying to make changes to the startup list in the msconfig utility, the changes were denied, saying that admin privledges were needed to make those changes. however, I am the administrator; my account is the only user account. When trying to be sure of this, I found in the user accounts section of "my comp" that my account is indeed an admin account; however, under the "perf and maint" section of "my comp," in the system properties dialogue box under the advanced tab, user profile settings, two accounts were listed: mine and Administrator. does this mean that there are actually two accounts? If this separate admin account exists, I certainly have not been able to access it, and I'm afraid this may be keeping me from making important changes.

After following instruc as well as i could for removing trojans/suspicious files, I ran Mcafee scan; it came up clean. After that I began having errors. Most recently, IE would not open, so I restarted the system. Blue screen came up with an error message. When the system restarted, a window popped up that said my computer was recovered from a serious error; I clicked for the details and this is the message: BCCode : 77 BCP1 : 00000001 BCP2 : 000008A9 BCP3 : 00000000
BCP4 : EBEE6960 OSVer : 5_1_2600 SP : 3_0 Product : 768_1

Can anyone help me decipher this?
Can anyone help me with the admin status so that I can address possible trojan issue?
I'm not sure that I actually have trojans, so can you offer advice on how to verify that with more certainty?

Thanks so much!

Edited by ixel, 13 September 2009 - 05:21 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,109 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2009 - 09:15 AM

BCCode : 77, some say it's a pagefile error.

I would try setting the pagefile to let XP manage it, if not already done.

FWIW: Msconfig is not a startup manager and should not be used as such. In fact, it doesn't even reflect all startup items. You might take a look at AutoRuns for Windows - http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinte...s/bb963902.aspx to get an accurate list of startup items and an effective manager of such. Like any other program, read the instructions for using before making any changes to your system.

See comments by Quietman at http://www.theeldergeek.com/forum/index.ph...mp;#entry256306.

Any time that chkdsk abruptly runs...it's a signal that something is wrong with the file system on the hard drive or the hard drive itself. To combat what has been detected, Windows runs the 3-step chkdsk process...but this does nothing for data which may be in bad sectors on the hard drive. I suggest immediately running the chkdsk /r command in such instances...after the system boots into XP.

Start/Run...type chkdsk /r (space between k and /) and hit Enter. Type Y in response to onscreen query and hit Enter. Reboot the system and allow the command to execute, system will boot into XP when command is done.

If chkdsk is unable to run or complete...time to run a diagnostic on the hard drive, can be obtained from respective website of hard drive manufacturer.

Hard Drive Installation and Diagnostic Tools - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/28744/hard-drive-installation-and-diagnostic-tools/

A hard drive with problems is capable of resulting in various error messages.

Louis

There is an official Administrator account...but any number of other users can have accounts with Admin privileges. Any account with such can be designated the official Admin of the system, if such is desired. So, it's normal for multiple users to have admin privileges on a multi-user system. For info only, http://www.mydigitallife.info/2006/05/07/u...-in-windows-xp/.

Edited by hamluis, 13 September 2009 - 09:20 AM.

#3 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 13 September 2009 - 09:30 AM

When checking my startup items against the database, I identified 3 or 4 programs that appeared to be associated with Trojan horses. I followed the directions for first removing those from the startup list and then deleting them from the hard disk.

Just because they "appear" to be associated with trojans doesn't mean they actually were trojans. Yes, sometimes they do masquarade as legitimate files/programs but the only way to know for sure is scan with your malware scanner(s) first. You could also have searched for the programs, and found out if they were indeed "bad" or not. You may have deleted something you shouldn't have.

When trying to make changes to the startup list in the msconfig utility, the changes were denied, saying that admin privledges were needed to make those changes.

Do you have an HP printer or HP all-in-one? There is a known issue with HP printers that will cause the error message you describe.

in the system properties dialogue box under the advanced tab, user profile settings, two accounts were listed: mine and Administrator.

The Admin account is a default account installed with Windows. This account does not show up in my User Accounts in Control Panel, the only way to access it is from safe mode.
When you set up yourself as a user, you gave the account admin status.
With both of these you should be able to make changes.

Have you run Chkdsk utility or done anything it tells you to do?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users