Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

should i put a failed/failing hd in external enclosure as sl

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 tomcruise3230

tomcruise3230

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:56 PM

Posted 24 July 2005 - 12:30 AM

Dear members:

I just would like to know should i put a failed/failing hard drive (30gb ibm internal hd) in external enclosure as slave so i can get the data off (its been a month since it has failed)

(moderator edit: moved to more appropriate forum.jgweed)

Edited by jgweed, 24 July 2005 - 12:32 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MartyGeek

MartyGeek

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2005 - 04:10 AM

OK, looking at the pile of dead hard drives that I have on the desk beside me, I may be able to help you with this problem.

As soon as a hard drive looks bad, I do the following:

1. Put the hard drive in a towel, then in a plastic bag
2. Put the bagged hard drive in the freezer
3. Leave unit in freezer for at least three hours
4. Run to computer with frozen hard drive
5. Plug hard drive into 2nd ATA channel on the computer as quickly as possible, with no other devices plugged into this channel. Don't forget to plug in the power cable as well
6. Boot up the computer
7. Grab the files I want from the hard drive as quickly as possible, from most important to least - time is our enemy as the hard drive heats up. These files should be placed on a known good drive.

If the unit starts playing up again, immediately switch off the computer and repeat steps one to 7.

Finally, if ALL fails. During step 7, shake the hard drive while pulling the files off. (upside down, right to left - all different directions). If this doesn't work, and this is a LAST DITCH effort (and has worked for me), I tap the hard drive on the floor, first gently, then with more effort. After all, this is a dead drive, and if I can possible get one more file off, then all the better.

Finally, once it is finally dead, and you cannot get one more file off the bugger, strip it down. Inside you will find two of the strongest magnets you have ever encountered in your life. Place this magnet underneath the sump of your car. Your car will thank you for it. (it removes metal filings from the oil)

You may wish to get a copy of Unstoppable Copier and become familair with it before trying the above steps - it saves some time in the copy operation.

Phew. Some of all that sounds crazy :thumbsup: , but I've been recovering data for over a decade now, and I promise you everything above is gospel, and does work.

Cheers

M

#3 tomcruise3230

tomcruise3230
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2005 - 05:05 AM

what if is already failed, which is can i still get the data off (like a free software or under $20 software that will let me get the data off from the failed hd)

#4 MartyGeek

MartyGeek

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2005 - 06:43 PM

Please tell me how it has failed?

Is the data corrupted, is it making noises, was a format performed on it accidentally??

Spose these would have been good questions to ask before I went on my little rant.

Any further information would be most appreciated.

If the data is corrupted (due to accidental format or corrupt MFT), the chances of getting data off are slim. There are programs out there like Easy Recovery Pro, Active Undelete, etc, but I have found that on badly fragmented volumes, or volumes where the MFT is badly corrupted, your chances of data recovery are quite limited.

MFT = Master File Table, where the Operating System keeps the records of every single file on a hard drive, including where on the hard drive the file resides.

Please supply more info, for more help.

Cheers

M :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users