Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows cannot find 'C:\Program' Error

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 1uP-

1uP-

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:17 PM

Posted 12 September 2009 - 05:14 PM

Hello,

I am new to the forums, so I'll try my best in staying within the guidelines/rules so I don't get on any moderators bad sides :flowers:

This error occurred just today when I booted up my computer this morning and tried to log on. The strange thing is how long it stuck at the logging in screen before it actually even went to my desktop.

"Windows cannot find 'C:\Program' make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again. To search for a file, click the Start Button, and then search."

The message was able to be closed just by clicking "OK." so for a quick fix I just created a batch file in the root directory C:\ titled 'program.bat' with the line 'exit' so it'll just close automatically. I'm still concerned as to what has caused this though. I haven't recently installed or uninstalled anything, and rarely downloaded anything within the past few days.

I apologize if this has been resolved before, I couldn't find anything using the search function.
If anyone has had this problem or knows what to do to prevent it from happening without simply creating a folder called "Program" or a batch file to close the error message it would greatly be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 PropagandaPanda

PropagandaPanda

• Malware Response Team
  • 10,433 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:17 PM

Posted 12 September 2009 - 05:49 PM

Hello 1uP-. Welcome to BC.

Have you recently uninstalled a program? A startup entry was probably pointing to the program's file. Then when the file was removed, the startup entry remained.

Let's see if we can identify it.

Delete the program.bat for now.

Please download RunKey.vbs to your desktop.
Double click RunKeys.vbs to run it.
A log will open in a moment. Copy the contents of it into your next reply.

With Regards,
The Panda

#3 1uP-

1uP-
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2009 - 06:25 PM

Dear Panda,

Thank you for the fast response!

Fortunately, you and me both had the same theory and it turned out to be true.

While I can't for the life of me remember what program I had uninstalled, I decided to use CCleaner's registry cleaner tool and it picked up an old startup entry. After fixing that and restarting, I can gladly say the error message doesn't show up. I should add CCleaner didn't say what the name of the entry was, just that it was unused.

Something that STILL concerns me though is how long the log on period actually takes, usually when I enter my password and continue to log on, it's almost instant since the only two programs I have that starts is my anti-virus (which is currently Avira AntiVir Personal) and Windows Live Messenger. But right now It is actually just hanging at the log in screen for a few moments.

I realize this really points how how impatient I am :thumbsup: but I'm also wondering what is causing that.

Even though I had already told you what I run at start-up, I still ran the script in hopes you can find whats causing the longer log in time. I can't think of why Avira or Windows Live would suddenly bog me down like this.

////////RunKeys 1.0\\\\\\\\
Microsoft Windows XP Professional 5.1.2600.3 (2009-9-12 16:22)

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run]
"MSMSGS"= C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe [2008-04-13 17:12|1695232|(Microsoft Corporation)]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run]
"avgnt"= C:\Program Files\Avira\AntiVir Desktop\avgnt.exe [2009-03-02 13:08|209153|(Avira GmbH)]
"MSConfig"= C:\WINDOWS\PCHealth\HelpCtr\Binaries\MSConfig.exe [2008-04-13 17:12|169984|(Microsoft Corporation)]

---EOF---

Again, Thanks. And sorry for any confusion as I took my own steps rather then waiting ( another sample of my impatience towards my computer. :flowers: )
If necessary, let me know if the topic name should change since the problem has changed.

Edited by 1uP-, 12 September 2009 - 06:26 PM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,731 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2009 - 06:28 PM

FWIW: See 18Jul09 post by firozmusthafa, http://icrontic.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24267

Louis

#5 1uP-

1uP-
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2009 - 06:40 PM

Hello Louis,

Thank you for the reference, I just have one quick question after reading that post.

What "config file" was firozmusthafa referring to? I figure I should look into this just to make sure it doesn't occur again in the future.
I realized I had updated my anti-virus considering it does it automatically whenever there is a new update. Even though I'm almost positive the old start-up entry caused it, I just want to make sure.

1uP-

#6 PropagandaPanda

PropagandaPanda

• Malware Response Team
  • 10,433 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2009 - 06:41 PM

Hello.

Don't worry about sounding impatient, I know how frustrating computer problems can be.

I decided to use CCleaner's registry cleaner tool and it picked up an old startup entry. After fixing that and restarting, I can gladly say the error message doesn't show up.

That route get's the same result.

But right now It is actually just hanging at the log in screen for a few moments.

From the startup list, you have very few autostart programs, though some are disabled using MSConfig.

If this started just a few days ago, using the System Restore will likely reverse whatever change caused the slowness.

Refering to this guide, please restore to a date just before the problem started.

Tell me how it goes.

With Regards,
The Panda

#7 1uP-

1uP-
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2009 - 06:51 PM

Hey Panda,

Well this is just awesome, while taking your advice and starting up system restore to go to an earlier date, it actually crashed.

Yes, Windows terminated it's own program. It gave the good old "encountered a problem and needs to close." error.

I honestly don't even know what to say to that, I restarted and it is doing the same thing. The best part is I'm not even sure I know what's causing any of this now after reading Louis's forum reference.

Do you have any idea on what is causing this bad luck computer day for me? :thumbsup:

1uP-

#8 PropagandaPanda

PropagandaPanda

• Malware Response Team
  • 10,433 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2009 - 06:54 PM

Hello.

Let's try from Safe Mode then.
  • Shutdown your computer.
  • Press the power on button.
  • Wait for your computer to beep.
  • After hearing the beep, hit the F8 key repeatedly until you see a selection screen.
  • Use your arrow keys to navigate the highlight to Safe Mode.
  • Hit Enter.
  • You will now be asked to choose your operating system. Again, use the arrow keys to select Microsoft Windows XP, if the highlight was not already on it.
  • Hit Enter.
After the boot, you will be asked whether you wish to use system restore, or to continue to Safe Mode. Select System Restore and follow the prompts.

Tell me how it goes.

With Regards,
The Panda

#9 1uP-

1uP-
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2009 - 09:27 PM

Panda,

I did as you said and it also crashes on safe mode.

I think we can safely say system restore is out of question, I could restart it but I believe that will also reset all restore points I had so it wouldn't be any help.

1uP-

#10 PropagandaPanda

PropagandaPanda

• Malware Response Team
  • 10,433 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2009 - 07:53 PM

Hello again. Sorry for the delay in response.

I suspect that a specific process is hanging the boot sequence.

First, at what point during the boot sequence is the delay? During the "applying personal settings" or after the desktop shows?

About how long is the hang?

With Regards,
The Panda

#11 1uP-

1uP-
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2009 - 11:30 PM

Hey Panda,

Don't worry about responding fast, my computer is just slower but for the most part it still runs okay.

It's during the "Applying Personal Settings" and it ranges anywhere from 20 seconds to a minute, rather than not even 2 seconds.

I still can't think of what's causing it, I looked in every log folder I could find on my computer and can't find much change within the past week or so.

1uP-

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users