Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Static IP addresses for individual User Acct's on a PC?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 walklong

walklong

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:25 AM

Posted 12 September 2009 - 04:47 PM

Hello all,

First, my goal: I'd like it (or I THINK I'd like it) if I could 'see' each user account/desktop as a separate share/machine (eg ip address) from my desktop.

We have, at present, two PC's, running WinXP Pro, connected to the web and each other through a wired router. (Also have two TIVO boxes on the router, if that makes a difference). I'm presently using Windows Firewall, though I've used 3rd party stuff in the past and will likely implement something better in the near future.

On the Family PC, we have separate user accounts for myself, my wife and our granddaughter - who's 5 years old. (We're raising her - she's here full-time). On my box, there's just me (my office is in the dungeon err basement).

My thought is to administer/maintain the one limited account (granddaughter) on the family machine from my desktop, be pretty aggressive in managing her internet use/exposure and to be able to send/post messages to each desktop individually - such that any note I want to leave for my wife goes only to my wife.

I've been googling all over this afternoon and have come across some info that suggests I'll be able to pull this off, but nothing very concrete. As the post title infers, the static IP approach appears to be the path to success, but I'm not sure that's true or if so, the best or most efficient method to implement it. So I thought I'd toss it out into this pond . . .

Thanks for your thoughts and ideas . . .

walklong

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 thedeacon

thedeacon

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:25 PM

Posted 13 September 2009 - 03:28 AM

Hello all,

First, my goal: I'd like it (or I THINK I'd like it) if I could 'see' each user account/desktop as a separate share/machine (eg ip address) from my desktop.

We have, at present, two PC's, running WinXP Pro, connected to the web and each other through a wired router. (Also have two TIVO boxes on the router, if that makes a difference). I'm presently using Windows Firewall, though I've used 3rd party stuff in the past and will likely implement something better in the near future.

On the Family PC, we have separate user accounts for myself, my wife and our granddaughter - who's 5 years old. (We're raising her - she's here full-time). On my box, there's just me (my office is in the dungeon err basement).

My thought is to administer/maintain the one limited account (granddaughter) on the family machine from my desktop, be pretty aggressive in managing her internet use/exposure and to be able to send/post messages to each desktop individually - such that any note I want to leave for my wife goes only to my wife.

I've been googling all over this afternoon and have come across some info that suggests I'll be able to pull this off, but nothing very concrete. As the post title infers, the static IP approach appears to be the path to success, but I'm not sure that's true or if so, the best or most efficient method to implement it. So I thought I'd toss it out into this pond . . .

Thanks for your thoughts and ideas . . .

walklong

I'm having trouble understanding your main goal.. is it to restrict your granddaughter's use of the internet? If so, I would use a piece of software to do that. I believe you can even set content filters through Internet Explorer but I haven't used it before.
Currently working on my CCNA and then towards Security.

The Network Technician

#3 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:25 AM

Posted 13 September 2009 - 06:17 AM

If your main goal is to make sure your grand daughter is not going to places she shouldn't, then I would suggest looking into buys some sort of parental control program. There are lots to choose from and can lock her down fairly tight =)

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#4 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2009 - 06:49 AM

One way you might be able to accomplish separate static IPs on a single PC on a per User account basis would be a combination of two NICS each assigned a static IP and setting up a hardware profile for each account. One NIC\static IP enabled the other disabled and visa-versa depending on who was logged on.

The software options are viable but the have heard of plenty of examples where a simple search using totally innocent words have come up with some more then questionable results.

Edited by ThunderZ, 13 September 2009 - 11:38 AM.

#5 walklong

walklong
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2009 - 07:06 AM

Hi and thanks,

Cutting to the chase; I have two objectives:

1) Modify and supervise my granddaughter's user account from my office PC - and I know you're correct; I'll be able to do this with remote desktop software of some kind: I'm just not yet sure which, and;

2) Use a LAN messaging app of some kind that allows me to send notes from my office PC to any of the individual user accounts on the family PC, such that a message to my wife doesn't want or need to appear on or be accessible from any other user account on the family pc, etc.

The second goal is the one I'm kinda playing with right now, and my progress is I've got a sticky note program with LAN functions installed on both PC's (Stickies 6.7a). I have it installed separately for each user on the family PC. The software functions nicely and without too much fanfare, but I can only enable the networking from one desktop at a time (eg if I want to communicate with my wife, the networking feature is disabled on my granddaughters account and my account on the family pc, and so forth).

I understand that I can set multiple, static ip addresses to the nic on the family machine, but I haven't been able to clearly determine that, if I do create mutliple ip addresses, I'll be able to associate the user accounts with different addresses and thence see each account as a separate virtual entity for the purposes of LAN communication.

I'm really just beginning to explore this. I'm having fun at some levels, but I DON'T want to make changes that will create a rat's nest of chaos for myself and only hope that someone has either implemented this or knows absolutely that it can't be done. Ultimately, (and not too long into the future) my granddaughter will have her own PC to work on and this issue will be moot and only an academic exercise for me.

Thanks for considering it . . . .

walklong

#6 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:25 AM

Posted 13 September 2009 - 11:22 AM

Second requirement, I think this link will give you a list of what you are looking for. And there is no reason not to keep it once you get her her own PC.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#7 walklong

walklong
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2009 - 08:29 PM

Hi again,

Thanks loads; this has been a big help: the determination is that the effort in time and energy to try to implement the sophisticated and likely problematic ip address solution would far out-weigh the actual convenience of having it in place.

I've figured out that I can keep a remote desktop session going and simply log in and out of the respective desktops as necessary, leaving a locally created sticky note on the desktop when I leave.

A few extra steps but nothing compared to the burden of learning the protocols for the tc/ip approach and then getting them implemented correctly and sustainably before I needed a 'vacation' in the nearest state psych ward.

FYI I set up TeamViewer - a freeware app off CNET - and it does the remote desktop thing very nicely. Have nothing to compare it with, this is my first go at this kind of thing, but I like it so far - doesn't seem to consume a lot of memory or cycles.

I really appreciate the help.

walklong

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users