Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Comodo Secure DNS Servers

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Thoughtful Skeptic

Thoughtful Skeptic

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:20 PM

Posted 12 September 2009 - 11:38 AM

I am downloading Comodo firewall and am invited to use the Comodo Secure DNS server.

It claims to filter out suspicious websites and it sounds good but I am skeptical of (almost) everything.

So I am wondering if any other BC members have used this and whether you think it is worthwhile?

Any comments will be welcome.

Thanks and regards.

Thoughtful Skeptic

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bluesjunior

bluesjunior

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:20 PM

Posted 12 September 2009 - 04:35 PM

I used to use Open DNS but being a fan of Comodo products I started using the Comodo servers when I installed the latest version of CIS. Can honestly say I have noticed no difference since changing over. Everything works the same as before neither faster nor slower.
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3, CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 450 Processor, Memory: OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz,Graphics: PowerColor HD 5750 1GB GDDR5,
PSU: Corsair 430W CX PSU 4x SATA 1x PCI-E, Hard Drive:Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache.

#3 Thoughtful Skeptic

Thoughtful Skeptic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:20 PM

Posted 13 September 2009 - 01:18 PM

Thank you - that was most helpful to me.

Regards,

Thoughtful Skeptic

#4 cafejose

cafejose

• Members
  • 953 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:20 PM

Posted 30 January 2012 - 05:17 PM

I used to use Open DNS but being a fan of Comodo products I started using the Comodo servers when I installed the latest version of CIS. Can honestly say I have noticed no difference since changing over. Everything works the same as before neither faster nor slower.

Here's just a small comment:
I installed Comodo Dragon Browser just several days ago and chose for which secure DNS servers, the option to ONLY use the Comodo secure DNS servers in Comodo Dragon Browser but not in the rest of my system. I assume this means that the other browsers (if you have them) would continue to use whatever "secure DNS servers" they are set for without any changes. So far, everything is comfortable.

After checking a Wikipedia article on secure DNS servers and the few posts in BleepingComputer forums, I hope someone could still give better explanations about DNS/Secure DNS servers, since I still do not really understand them.

#5 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,638 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:20 PM

Posted 31 January 2012 - 04:14 PM

After checking a Wikipedia article on secure DNS servers and the few posts in BleepingComputer forums...

Maybe you've come to think that Comodo Secure DNS servers are DNSSEC servers. They are not. They are DNS servers. But Comodo curates the DNS replies it sends out.

Didier Stevens
http://blog.DidierStevens.com
http://DidierStevensLabs.com

SANS ISC Handler
Microsoft MVP 2011-2016 Consumer Security, Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
MVP_Horizontal_BlueOnly.png

If you send me messages, per Bleeping Computer's Forum policy, I will not engage in a conversation, but try to answer your question in the relevant forum post. If you don't want this, don't send me messages.

Stevens' law: "As an online security discussion grows longer, the probability of a reference to BadUSB approaches 1.0"

#6 cafejose

cafejose

• Members
  • 953 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:20 PM

Posted 31 January 2012 - 05:00 PM

After checking a Wikipedia article on secure DNS servers and the few posts in BleepingComputer forums...

Maybe you've come to think that Comodo Secure DNS servers are DNSSEC servers. They are not. They are DNS servers. But Comodo curates the DNS replies it sends out.

How would I know? I would not know, which is why I asked for explanations from anyone who feels like explaining. I made the best choice during the installation option choice about secure DNS servers that I could make.

#7 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,638 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:20 PM

Posted 31 January 2012 - 05:24 PM

Well, that is my explanation: They are DNS servers. Comodo curates the DNS replies.
This means that unlike normal DNS servers, they will not resolve domains Comodo has listed has harmful.

Didier Stevens
http://blog.DidierStevens.com
http://DidierStevensLabs.com

SANS ISC Handler
Microsoft MVP 2011-2016 Consumer Security, Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
MVP_Horizontal_BlueOnly.png

If you send me messages, per Bleeping Computer's Forum policy, I will not engage in a conversation, but try to answer your question in the relevant forum post. If you don't want this, don't send me messages.

Stevens' law: "As an online security discussion grows longer, the probability of a reference to BadUSB approaches 1.0"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users