Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

SP2

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 redd2

redd2

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:44 AM

Posted 10 September 2004 - 09:39 PM

Ok, I'm running WIN-XP. I just got the SP2 CD. I have been reading things that make me wonder if I should download it or not. Many are saying not to because there are "bugs".

Help me! What shall I do? :thumbsup:
Redd2

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Members
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA
  • Local time:02:44 PM

Posted 10 September 2004 - 09:46 PM

I did the CD update two days ago and have had no problems what-so-ever with it.
(See my thread on this in the Windows section - "Pot-hole Patching....")

If you do run into some glitches, you can always un-install the update, or work on fixing up the problems.
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

#3 redd2

redd2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2004 - 10:26 PM

Thanks. I'm just a big chicken when it comes to new things. I am not real computer smart and if I mess up then I'm really in hot water.
Redd2

#4 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 AM

Posted 10 September 2004 - 11:12 PM

I'd say go ahead with it, Redd2 One big benefit is you'll notice that your Add/Remove Programs list will lose a bunch of Hotfixes. They all roll into SP2. You'll have the new Security Center. If you have a firewall, you can disable the one in Windows easy enough. Anti-virus programs like all the ones here will satisfy that part of the Center. It will pop a window up to remind you if you are like I am, and do not have the auto-update on your anti-virus itself. Same goes for Windows updates. You can have it on or off. It will auto-update if on, but will not remind you if you turn it off. :thumbsup:
patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

#5 Fuelm@n

Fuelm@n

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:44 PM

Posted 11 September 2004 - 08:37 AM

I've installed it on 2 systems, and have not had any problems. I've of course built these systems from ground up and have always be confident in them and XP.
BleepingComputer Posted Image

#6 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2004 - 01:47 PM

Before installing, I would go to the website of the manufacturer of your computer and determine if there are any downloads to fix compatibility problems.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#7 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2004 - 01:49 PM

Before installing, I would go to the website of the manufacturer of your computer and determine if there are any downloads to fix compatibility problems.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#8 Pandy

Pandy

Bleepin'

• Members
  • 9,559 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2004 - 10:48 AM

Hi John~ That is a good tip, about checking for compatability. I will follow that advice. I've got my SP2 CD in the mail but I am wary of installing it. I guess I don't want to rock my XP boat. :thumbsup: I'm worried about the fact that I have 4 users on my machine and that it won't install right. A specific thing I was wondering is should I log everyone on to install it, or not? I'm thinking that I shouldn't do it that way tho. I just don't know I guess. What do you think?

Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.

Hide not your talents. They for use were made. What's a sundial in the shade?

~ Benjamin Franklin

I am a Bleeping Computer fan! Are you?

Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

#9 redd2

redd2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2004 - 03:01 PM

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I am going to go ahead with the install, after checking things like John suggested.

Have a great day. :thumbsup:
Redd2

#10 tiredtogo

tiredtogo

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2004 - 09:44 PM

I downloaded SP2 on my dial up modem and it took six hours to download .
However i installed SP2 and all went very well, the way I see it if you want to keep youre windows updated and as safe as possible you dont have much choice because the updates after Sp2 probly go with SP2.
I have downloaded programs in the past that I wasn't smart enough to comfiger and get working right and I went to control panel and uninstalled them. But I have to say SP2 was easy for this PC Dummie :thumbsup: to install and so far it's been all good.
I recomend SP2 before installing make a restore point and if things go awry just do a system restore back to that date. Nothing to it but to do it. good luck

Cordially Jay
PS I do want to say that I dont run a lot of complicated programs and if you do I understand there are some programs that the users are having trouble with SP2.
All I can say is I was scared to use SP2 also but I'm glad I did it was a cinch. I wish it was as easy with some of these so called downloads that the powers to be say are simple to configer and use.

#11 pondering

pondering

• Members
  • 313 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2004 - 04:04 PM

Congratulations......I finally did it a few days ago myself. I spent more time worrying about mishaps than I did installing it.

I suggest getting the free CD from Microsoft , incase you ever have to reinstall.

#12 georgia

georgia

• Members
  • 567 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2004 - 09:12 AM

Here it is november and I still have not done the sp2 install. I check for customize updates in the windows update site and have been motoring along ok. Am still waiting. I have a toshiba notebook purchased feb. 2003 and have found that the system restore has never been reliable. It kept coming up with "no changes were made" when indeed there had been changes made and it was impossible to restore to earlier points. Talked to my trusted tech and he said that the system restore is not that reliable and advised to disenable it as in these dark crevices malware can settle and then when you believe your computer is ok and then restore they reactivate unbeknownst to you and problems start.
Does anyone know what programs are still affected by SP2? :thumbsup:
Talent is a flame. Genius is a fire.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users