Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable to restore my computer, can't remove malware. Help? :D

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Q12

Q12

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:05 PM

Posted 12 September 2009 - 10:10 AM

I'm currently running Windows Vista Home-Basic as my OS.

I know that malware managed to get onto my computer (at least Windows Police Pro, likely among other programs). I once booted up in Safe Mode turned off a bunch of start-up programs and when I re-booted I could access Firefox among other programs again (when before I could do nothing on my computer), but my computer is much slower now than before the whole malware issue. I decided my first step to getting that malware off my computer was by following the guide on here. I used the "fixtm.reg" file and merged it with my registry but I still can't access my task manager, and when I try to do so my computer nearly freezes entirely. I reboot to get my computer back at normal speeds and decide all I can do is skip that step and I go straight into using MBAM. While using that program after getting to finding roughly 10 infected files after scanning roughly 20,000 it just stops responding and never goes back to normal.

Then I creating a system recovery disc on my computer so I could go back to hardware settings (considering that my computer didn't come with one, it only came with the program to create one). My computer doesn't have the partition to create a recovery disc apparently, so I can't restore to factory settings. I tried doing the System Restore so I could go back to an earlier date on my computer, but after "completing" the restore when my computer booted up it just gave me an error message and my computer didn't go back to an earlier date at all.

Anyone got a clue on what I could do? I'd prefer not to go out and buy something in case it doesn't work, but if there is a cheap simple solution I'm willing to listen.

Additional Info:
-There is nothing in my MBAM log.
-I have tried using MBAM multiple times to no avail
-System Restore no longer starts, I just get an error message about fragmented data or something along those lines

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 trollocks

trollocks

• Members
  • 369 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:05 AM

Posted 12 September 2009 - 01:00 PM

sounds like the nasty rootkit thats going around

best thing to do is run dds and post the log in the hjt forum

#3 Q12

Q12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2009 - 06:03 PM

sounds like the nasty rootkit thats going around

best thing to do is run dds and post the log in the hjt forum

What if I said I have no idea what you are talking about? :x

#4 Q12

Q12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2009 - 08:26 PM

Can someone inform me on the running dds?

I don't know what that even means D:

#5 trollocks

trollocks

• Members
  • 369 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:05 AM

Posted 12 September 2009 - 08:33 PM

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34773/preparation-guide-for-use-before-using-malware-removal-tools-and-requesting-help/

step 6

#6 Q12

Q12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2009 - 08:48 PM

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34773/preparation-guide-for-use-before-using-malware-removal-tools-and-requesting-help/

step 6

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users