Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop Keyboard

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Delta16

Delta16

• Members
  • 417 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:17 AM

Posted 12 September 2009 - 08:28 AM

I got a laptop and the keys on the key board are not working, which are : Z ,V,B

Can i do something to get them work again?

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,213 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:17 PM

Posted 12 September 2009 - 10:31 AM

You will have to determine if the key springs or the sensor button beneath is the issue. In the first the key can be replaced. In the latter the keyboard. ere's an image.
L@@K
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 Delta16

Delta16
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 417 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2009 - 02:32 PM

I cleaned those buttons that werent working and no luck

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,213 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:17 PM

Posted 13 September 2009 - 08:37 PM

Probably need to replace the keyboard then.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 Delta16

Delta16
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 417 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2009 - 09:00 AM

Yeah, I think so

Edited by Delta16, 14 September 2009 - 09:00 AM.

#6 McIrish

McIrish

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:17 PM

Posted 22 October 2009 - 08:36 PM

Hello - not sure if this issue was resolved or not, but I thought I would reply anyway (just in case someone else has the same issue).

Malfunctioning keyboards are generally a hardware issue. If you have spilled honey, jam, peanut butter, maple syrup... well, you get the point... then the individual keys might stick and need to be cleaned. However, I would never recommend trying to remove individual keys. Many keyboard have keys that are locked in place with a very thin piece of plastic that breaks easily.

Usually the keyboard will malfunction because it is too dusty/dirty or the cable has slipped. The keyboard cable is very thin with incredibly tiny wires. The slightest jarring or movement by the cable will cause portions of the keyboard not to work.

First, use a can of air and blow the dust from under the keys as much as possible.

If that didn't resolve the issue, remove the keyboard and carefully put the cable back in properly and securely. Different laptops disassemble differently, so check with the manufacturer or another support site for specific instructions for your model. I have a Sony Vaio, and the online information is great. (So is HP/Compaq!)

Now if cleaning the keyboard and resetting the cable didn't work, then definitely invest in a replacement keyboard. Now that you already took yours off, you now how to replace it anyway! (Besides, your computer is worth nearly nothing if the keyboard doesn't work, so at least replace the keyboard before you post it on craigslist.) Where do you find a replacement that isn't a rip-off? Good question! Ebay can be a place to start, but of course there's always a risk that the part won't work, it was really for a different model, etc. Find a seller that has a positive history and has a large stock of parts. I normally get my parts from LaptopAid because they are closer to me and the shipping is faster - also they have not let me down with a bad part yet. Anyway, you can usually find a replacement laptop (new or used) for between $10-$60.

Best of luck & remember to keep your laptops clean & safe!!

#7 Delta16

Delta16
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 417 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2009 - 03:22 AM

Hi thanks for replying. As you said under the keys there are small pieces of plastic that break easily, but i managed to take them all apart, cleaned every sheet of contacts(if you know what i mean ;) ) and replaced all keys back on. No luck with that. I also cleaned the cable contact with alcohol, but still no luck.

As the laptop was not mine, I had to ask him if he wanted to replace the keyboard, because cleaning it didnt work. Then I bought one from E-bay, replaced it, and worked like a charm.

Just to let you know ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users