Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What would be involved in this?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:48 AM

Posted 23 July 2005 - 10:00 PM

Well I guess this can be called programing. I have never made my own program before. Id like to make a small program.
Anyways I had a idea to make something to use the Closed captions on a dvd on a computer to block out certain words. Would that be a hard program to make? I have looked and looked and saw none on the internet thought maybe I could try to make one.

What would be involved in making a small program like that? Or any program for that matter? Is it to much for me to even think of taking on? I do not even know how hard it may be to make a program.

I downloaded visual basic express beta but never used it really.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:48 AM

Posted 24 July 2005 - 11:38 AM

It would not be easy to do especially if never programmed before, and have not even decided what language to use.
Just for fun, try making a list (in order) of EACH of the steps the program you want to design will have to do.
Regards.
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2005 - 01:28 PM

Well I would like to try! I hope someone here can give me a clew on what I would need to try it....

Besides it would be great if I had just one software that people would want to sell!

Here is what the program I want to make will do.

It will be a small program. It will be simple and not all out. The goal of the program is to use Closed Caption to block out cuss words. Maybe one could add the words they dont want to hear or the program could come with a built in editable list.

I was thinking it would be simpler for a beta model to just let them add there own words to the list.

It will need to work along with a few top name dvd player software.

Such as WINDVD,Windows Media player and Interactual player.

Well so do you think its possible?

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2005 - 11:28 PM

Making a programme that is compatible across many applications gets very complicated, and if you want to block out AUDIO words, then you also need some sort of voice recognition program that will monitor the audio before it gets to the speakers.DVDPlayer input--blocker---output.
Hardly a simple matter. In the back of my mind, I seem to think that some DVD players on some DVDs can already do this.
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#5 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,395 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2005 - 03:31 PM

This is definitely not the program to consider making as your first programming exercise.

#6 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2005 - 10:34 PM

I found out. It seems that to make it work it would have to follow the audio and well it would be very hard.
Can you point me to a few good resources on program making that I may try a very small program out just to see how it is?

Like maybe a "hello" blinking on the screen for my first program. I have been told you can't start out at the top but you start at the bottom and work your way up.
Thanks

#7 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,395 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2005 - 12:04 AM

You can start at the top once you become very familar with other languages. When you master one language, its not too hard to pick up others.

Try visual basic with microsofts free compiler:

http://lab.msdn.microsoft.com/express/vbasic/default.aspx

#8 raw

raw

Bleeping Hacker

• Members
  • 2,577 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2005 - 09:59 AM

Go here to get free source code and see what is involved in programming.
http://www.planet-source-code.com
The project you're talking about will require a good deal of programming skill and experience.
Start small and work your way up.

rawsig.png

rawcreations.net          @raw_creations

Current systems: WHAT OS, BackTrack-raw, PCLinuxOS, Peppermint OS 6, Kali Linux

and a custom Linux From Scratch server hosting a bunch of top secret stuff.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users