Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer keeps restarting after xp recovery

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 justme83

justme83

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:33 PM

Posted 12 September 2009 - 05:25 AM

I just shifted my PC from one room to another. When I turned it on it said it couldnt find a file to start windows and to run the XP Cd. I ran the CD and recovery was all working fine until the computer restarted. It got to the "windows xp" screen, the one with the black background and windowws xp in white writing and the windows picture. Then the computer restarted and just keeps going on like that.

I also noticed though that it is saying when it starts "primary slave none" and then whatever is under that it says none as well.

Thanks for any help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,551 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:33 AM

Posted 12 September 2009 - 09:12 AM

Check the connections for everything...reseat the memory and video card, if you have one. Moving may have jarred something loose.

Sounds like it could be a hard drive problem, IMO.

Louis

#3 justme83

justme83
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2009 - 03:34 AM

BIOS is detecting the hard drive, and the memory test is saying "ok". I recently added some more internal ram, could that have just come out of place? Thanks for your help

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,551 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2009 - 07:47 AM

BIOS detection of a hard drive means nothing...it will detect a failing hard drive, as long as the connections/jumpers are correct.

System manufacturer and model?

Louis

#5 justme83

justme83
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2009 - 04:52 AM

seagate st3120022A

Pretty old now and planning to go buy a new desktop , but I wanted to attempt some deleted data recovery so would like to get it running.

ETA. The system fan is running at 0...the cpu fan about 2600

Edited by justme83, 16 September 2009 - 05:35 AM.

#6 justme83

justme83
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2009 - 02:32 AM

anyone?

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,551 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2009 - 08:45 AM

You can attempt moving of data files...by removing the hard drive and attaching it (temporarily) to another system as a secondary drive...then moving data files to the second system.

If the drive is PATA, then you need to ensure that the jumper settings on the temporarily connected drive...match those of any other devices which might be on the same cable. If the drive is attached as a single device on the cable, I suggest using the Master jumper setting on the drive.

Louis

#8 justme83

justme83
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2009 - 11:19 PM

Okay it's not the hard drive.

Took it to the computer store because were were going to get a new computer anyway. They put in their own windows xp cd which had SP2 on it and they were able to get right through set up but then couldn't load windows normally but could run it in safe mode.

So i bought it home to get files off it I needed in safe mode but then I couldn't load safe mode. It was hanging at tdi.sys. Turning the modem off seemed to get it to load but I also ran MY xp recovery cd again (which i probably shouldn't have done) and now safe mode or normal mode isn't working again.

Could it just be a problem with my xp cd then?

There is no other way to just copy files from C: to another drive without getting into windows is there? Or can i get to dos/command prompt without loading windows?

Thanks

Edited by justme83, 18 September 2009 - 11:19 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users