Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

can i get an address bar like vista/XPsp2 in jaunty?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ejames82

ejames82

• Members
  • 404 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:11 AM

Posted 11 September 2009 - 11:09 PM

vista has an address bar on the bottom of the screen, and XP service pack 2 also has it, and i love that feature. i know the only difference between firefox and the address bar for vista/XPsp2 is one click and the wait for firefox to load, but this over time adds up. firefox actually works with that address bar of vista/XPsp2. what i would really like is to use my installation of jaunty jackelope and install/setup an address bar like the one vista and XPsp2 offers.
does anyone know of any way to have such an address bar with jaunty jackelope?
thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2009 - 11:58 PM

are you refering to the Google Desktop widgit in Vista? If so it is available from google for linux as well. It should be in the repos to and there are a few other menu bar search tools like Beagle and Tomboy which are available too.

Posted Image

#3 Juicy Orange

Juicy Orange

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:11 AM

Posted 14 September 2009 - 12:37 PM

I'm pretty sure this user's talking about the "Address bar" thing you can add in WinXP to the taskbar. I don't know how to do that, but I'm sure if you use Google *someone* will have thought of it.

#4 ejames82

ejames82
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 404 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2009 - 04:15 PM

if i could find a way to post a screenshot, i would show you, but by right-clicking on the taskbar you get a menu with XP service pack 2 that includes an address bar. when you put a check in front of "address", a couple sets of dots appear on the taskbar that you can grab and pull in the same fashion as drag and drop. by pulling to the left or right, uncovers an address bar that is hidden.
when service pack 3 came along the address bar was taken away, it (the "address" option)was no longer offered, but many have figured out a way to keep it. the address bar also works with firefox (that is, if you already have the address bar and enter a url in it while using firefox, it will work, IE isn't necessary). i have not tried it with any other browsers, so i can't vouch for them. vista also has the address bar feature (why vista, and not XP?).
is there a way to post a screenshot here at bleepingcomputer?

thanks for the replies.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users