Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can I only make my own network, if I buy a wireless router?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 rukikki

rukikki

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:52 AM

Posted 11 September 2009 - 10:56 PM

okay, so I have a main computer at my desktop. Which is connected to a Westell dsl router. &Since, I have a new laptop, I was wondering is buying an other wireless router needed for the laptop (are both different?) ? Or is the dsl useful for making a new network? First of all, I can connect to the internet through with my new laptop. Although, I can only connect to a unsecured network. (&I don`t like the idea of 'un'secured. ) So, another question is it possible to make your own private network? if so how?

am sorry, for so many questions! 8( I`m just really new to this networking thing. First time buying a laptop, and I don`t want anything bad happen to it.
thank you in advanced!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2009 - 04:08 AM

What is the model number of the Westell?

To answer the "how to" parts of your questions I need to know if the Westell has wireless capability, the model number will tell me that. As for the rest of your questions, yes you can make your own private and secure network. But I need to know if you are good to go with just the westell or if you need to go buy equipment. =)

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#3 rukikki

rukikki
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2009 - 06:31 PM

okay, I checked and the model and it is 327W.

#4 thedeacon

thedeacon

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:52 AM

Posted 13 September 2009 - 03:15 AM

okay, I checked and the model and it is 327W.

I believe that is a wireless model. All you would need to do is ensure that wireless is enabled on that router and use WPA2 to secure your wireless router.
Currently working on my CCNA and then towards Security.

The Network Technician

#5 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2009 - 06:11 AM

If you are reading this on the laptop, go get on your desktop. You need to be connected via a wire to do these things.

Like all Westells, they sell them to ISPs and allow ISPs to make changes to the firmware to suite their needs. So I am not 100% sure everything that follows will be 100% accurate. But it should be close enough that you can figure it out should it be different looking.

Westell Setup
  • Click this address http://192.168.1.1
  • You should see the Westell router home page, along the top you should see the words Home, Status, Configuration, etc...
  • Mouse over Configuration
  • Move down to Wireless
  • And over to Basic and click it
  • The only thing on this you will want to change is maybe the SSID. This is the broadcast name for your wireless. Think like the call sign of a radio station WKRP for example. Write it down, you may need it. If you change it click Save at the bottom
  • When the router comes back up, mouse over Configuration, Wireless, this time click Security
  • The screen will change and there will be a drop down menu, click the arrow and pick WPA-PSK or if WPA2-PSK is in the list pick that.
  • The screen changes again and you have the drop down menu, the WPA Shared Key and WPA Group Rekey Interval
  • For the Shared Key you want to pick numbers and letters atleast 8 characters long but 12 or so would be better. Don't use a word or anything like that. Matter of fact, if you click this link you'll see links to key generators. I am not saying use one but if you mess with them they will show you what you should type in that box. Whatever you use, make sure you write it down correctly because you need it to set it up on your laptop.
  • Set the Group Rekey interval to 1000
  • Click Save and you are done with setting up the router for wireless =)
Setting up your laptop

You said you had a new laptop, I'm not sure if its brand new or just new to you. Meaning if its brand new it will probably have Vista on it whereas if its new to you it might have XP.

Make sure your wireless adapter can support the security you are implementing. Go to the website of the manufacture of the laptop and get the latest drivers for your wireless adapter.

For Vista - Click this. It has screen shots and everything. The PSK in WPA-PSK stands for Preshared Key. So if you have to set it up manually, pick preshared Key

For XP - Click this. Make sure XP is up to date. It has steps in there for that.

Edited by CaveDweller2, 13 September 2009 - 06:13 AM.

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#6 rukikki

rukikki
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2009 - 10:14 PM

If you are reading this on the laptop, go get on your desktop. You need to be connected via a wire to do these things.

Like all Westells, they sell them to ISPs and allow ISPs to make changes to the firmware to suite their needs. So I am not 100% sure everything that follows will be 100% accurate. But it should be close enough that you can figure it out should it be different looking.

Westell Setup[list=1]
[*] Click this address http://192.168.1.1

I clicked on the address, and it told me to type in a username and password. . .?

#7 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2009 - 06:21 AM

The manual I have for it doesn't mention a user name or password. Try admin for the user name and password as the password. If that doesn't work, you got a user name and password from your ISP try that but add the @whatever.whatever(like JoeBlow@bellsouth.com). If none of those work, which they should, call your ISP and ask them. As I said Westell sells their modem/routers to ISPs and the ISPs change the firmware to their own.

#8 rukikki

rukikki
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2009 - 11:56 PM

The manual I have for it doesn't mention a user name or password. Try admin for the user name and password as the password. If that doesn't work, you got a user name and password from your ISP try that but add the @whatever.whatever(like JoeBlow@bellsouth.com). If none of those work, which they should, call your ISP and ask them. As I said Westell sells their modem/routers to ISPs and the ISPs change the firmware to their own.

still can`t. 8( Do you know anyway to find my ISP?
or do I really need this step to create a network? Can I just skip down to the other steps?
ty!

#9 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2009 - 06:34 AM

ISP = Internet Service Provider. The people you write a check to each month for DSL and normally your home phone.

If you know a way to set up your wireless without getting into your router, then tell me so we can make a buttload of money.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users