Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't come back to present day after doing System Restore to a month ago

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 T_Dominici

T_Dominici

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:06 PM

Posted 11 September 2009 - 08:53 PM

Preface: My operating system for my laptop is Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2 and my internet browser is Mozilla Firefox version 3.0.13

Hello,

In an attempt to use System Restore on my laptop to try and retrieve my internet browsing history (something that I have not been able to accomplish so far, btw -- see my other thread about this here) it would seem that I've run into a bit of a problem. I originally tried to use System Restore on my laptop to go back to August 19th, but when I selected that date and the computer restarted it told me that I couldn't access that date, saying;
"Restoration Incomplete. Your system cannot be restored to: Wednesday, August 19, 2009."
I googled this error message and found this:

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/share...005113009323013

Apparently Norton Anti-Virus interferes with System Restore so you have to disable a feature in Norton and then try it again. I opened up Norton 360 and disabled the Norton Product Tamper Protection feature like it instructed me to do and tried doing a System Restore again, to the same date. This time it worked and restored me to that date on my computer with no errors. After I discovered that my browsing history was not there in the restored date, I attempted to undo the last restore and go back to present day (September 10th) where all my current files, programs etc on my laptop are. I went through the System Restore process again and after restarting it gave me the same error message as before, except with the current date:
"Restoration Incomplete. Your system cannot be restored to: Thursday, September 10, 2009."

I clicked OK and it loaded up the August-19-version of my computer again. I figured I had to disable the Norton feature in the August-19-version of my computer, but when I attempted to open Norton 360 it wouldn't open. I tried restarting, exiting all programs and trying again, but nothing. Still nothing will happen when I try to open Norton 360. After this I tried restoring my computer to September 9th, 2009, figuring that would be a close enough date for compromise since all my current files and such exist on that day, but yet again I was met with the same error message, except this time telling me "Your system cannot be restored to: Wednesday, September 9, 2009." I tried several other dates, all with the same problem.

The bottom line is that I seem to be stuck in August 19th, 2009 on my laptop. How can I get back to the present day?

This is a pretty big problem because the August-19-version of my laptop can't open Norton, can't access the internet for some reason (even though the wireless connection says Connected with Excellent strength), and all the files I created between August 20th and September 10th on that computer are missing.

So what should I do? Being stuck in the past and getting error messages when you try and time travel back to the present is a pretty aggrivating situation. Any help on the matter would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

-T

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Renegades

Renegades

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:06 AM

Posted 09 November 2010 - 09:31 PM

Oh Dear ...
Get rid of Norton or they will get rid of you ...
If there was something like a huge legal virus distribution center, Norton would own and run it!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users