Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Start up database / Autoruns - Confused.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 luckygin

luckygin

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:12 AM

Posted 11 September 2009 - 06:14 PM

Hi - Firstly let me say I am not very knowledgable about computers but I research a lot and I learn more each time. Basically my problem is that my program files start up really really slowly (excel, word etc.). After researching this a little I realised that it may be to do with all the start up programs when I start my pc, I have now found this website and have read through what to do - I have downloaded autoruns and it has shown me lots, maybe couple of hundred start ups(?), I realise I need to check these against the start up database on the bleeping computer site (the dbase that says whether the file is needed or not) but I don't have a clue how to do this, do I physically copy each file in autoruns and check it against another dbase - and if so, how? I'm confused.

I'm really hoping someone can help me here, and if its not the start-up programs then maybe I can get advice on what else it could be. I've done malware checks, virus checks etc, I've defragged, I have enough hard disk space.

Heres hoping you can help - thank you in advance. :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Blade

Blade

Strong in the Bleepforce

• Site Admin
  • 12,704 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:12 AM

Posted 11 September 2009 - 10:32 PM

Go to the following link and put each filename into the search box http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/startups/

Hope that helps,

~Blade

Edited by Blade Zephon, 11 September 2009 - 10:32 PM.

Posted Image

If I am helping you, it has been 48 hours since your last post, and I have yet to reply to your topic, please send me a PM
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook
Follow us on Twitter!
Circle us on Google+

#3 luckygin

luckygin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:12 AM

Posted 12 September 2009 - 03:07 AM

Thanks - I now see the box where I paste the filename, do I need to check every single start up file in autorun or are there only certain filenames thats its worth copying and pasting? There are hundreds.

Thanks

#4 Blade

Blade

Strong in the Bleepforce

• Site Admin
  • 12,704 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2009 - 03:08 AM

I'd check every one you don't think should be there.

Posted Image

If I am helping you, it has been 48 hours since your last post, and I have yet to reply to your topic, please send me a PM
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook
Follow us on Twitter!
Circle us on Google+

#5 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2009 - 09:13 AM

Please bear in mind that our list is not a complete list. Things change constantly
Do a Google search, also
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users