Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need some good advice

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 chevymn34

chevymn34

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:53 AM

Posted 11 September 2009 - 05:36 PM

I have a Dell Dimension E510 Desktop computer that has a virus. I want to put new internals in it for playing World of Warcraft. Can someone tell me what I need to buy to get the computer to work and play the game. I can switch out all the components. I just need a list of parts that I need that will work with this game. I am looking to only spend 200 dollars or less.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 chevymn34

chevymn34
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2009 - 07:43 PM

Anyone, Anyone?

#3 pclimer

pclimer

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:53 AM

Posted 12 September 2009 - 12:02 AM

How much ram does your Dell Dimension E510 have?

From what I have been looking up, it has a a PCI express x16, it also has 4 avaliable slots of ram.

Dell dimension E510 technical doc.

Also which processor do you have in yours?

your best bet is to probably pop in a video card, but It would help to know what specs you have in your version of the Dell Dimension E510.

Dell Dimension Specs.

#4 chevymn34

chevymn34
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2009 - 11:03 AM

I also want it to be faster. Here is some more information

Processor info
Intel Pentium 4 CPU 3.20GHz
Clock speed 3.20
Bus Speed 800 MHZ
Processor L2 Cache 2MB
64-bit Technology Yes Intel EM64T
hyperthreading technology- YES

RAM
Installed Memory 1.0GB
Memory Speed 400 MHz
Memory Channel Mode Dual Interleaved
Memory Technology DDR2 SDRAM
4 memory slots 256 MB size

Edited by chevymn34, 12 September 2009 - 11:07 AM.

#5 pclimer

pclimer

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:53 AM

Posted 14 September 2009 - 04:26 PM

There is a couple of problems with what you are planning on doing with your dell.

1) I don't know what mother board yours is,
and im not sure if it could even handle upgraded components such as a new CPU.
(Most dell motherboards are made just for a specific CPU, and changing the setup would mess up the reliability of the system.)

2) If wanted better gaming power you would need to pop in decent video card, and I'm not
sure if the dell stock power supply could even handle the increased power load.
(Dell is notorious for using power supply's that just barely power everything that is stock.)

Your best bet is to probably just upgrade the ram to 4 gigs, that is the max your pc can handle.
You can get 2 of these, which is two 1 gig sticks in a pack.
g.skill ram @ newegg

Other than that, it would be cheaper to have a gaming PC specifically built for your gaming needs.
Since the dell would have to be overhauled anyway, and you could even get dual or quad core if you got one made for you.
A decent gaming computer can be built for a little under 500 dollars, or even under 400 if you cut back some on components.

I would be more than glad to help you out if you would like to go with a new gaming pc,
but if you decide to just keep the dell I would say just upgrade the Ram.
Anything past that would just be a waste of money ,and you would be kicking yourself a month or two down the line.

#6 chevymn34

chevymn34
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2009 - 12:13 AM

I am going to build a computer because I got it in my head. I was wondering what motherboard to use with these parts?

NZXT ZERO 2 Crafted Series CS-NT-ZERO-2 Black Steel / Plastic ATX Full Tower Computer Case
NEW OCZ StealthXStream 500W ATX PSU Power Supply 80+Eff
OCZ Platinum 4GB (2x2gb) 800mhz DDR2 Desktop Memory Ram
AMD Athlon II X2 Dual-core 250 3GHz Processor
POWERCOLOR AX4870 512MD5 Radeon HD 4870 512MB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card

And this motherboard if you think it is good. BIOSTAR TForce TA790GX A3+ AM3 AMD 790GX HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail
DDR3, HDMI, FIREWIRE, CrossFire X™ and Radeon™

#7 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:53 AM

Posted 15 September 2009 - 03:21 PM

I suggest a few changes, as I did in a previous thread you created. Here are the modifications.

PSU: I suggest getting a better one as 500W will be pushing it with modern graphics cards. The OCZ StealthXStream OCZ600SXS 600W will work nicely and comes with a rebate.

CPU: I still suggest the AMD Phenom II X2 550 Black Edition Callisto 3.1GHz as it performs better than the Athlon II. You could also go for the triple core AMD Phenom II X3 720 2.8GHz but for what you're going to be doing with it, I'm not sure if you would benefit much from using it over a dual core.

Motherboard: There are better choices out there, such as the ASRock M3A780GXH/128M AM3 AMD 780G, GIGABYTE GA-MA790GPT-UD3H AM3 AMD 790GX, or GIGABYTE GA-MA790XT-UD4P AM3 DDR3 AMD 790X. All of them will work with an Athlon II or a Phenom II CPU and DDR3 RAM.

RAM: AM3 motherboards to not use DDR2, they use DDR3. You can get the G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 memory kit.

Graphics Card: I suggest getting a card that has 1GB or more of video memory in it since most games are taking advantage of higher VRAM amounts. The SAPPHIRE 100279-1GL Radeon HD 4870 1GB.

Also, you will need to purchase Windows again since you are probably using the OEM edition Dell provided which cannot be moved to another motherboard. Here's a copy or Windows Vista Home Premium with a free Windows 7 upgrade coupon.

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users